Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. You could have a mech check it out and see if there's really a problem. If that doesn't work take the cover off above your steering col and take out the bulb.

Mopar360yj

·
Registered
143 Posts
If the 89 YJ is the same as my 89 XJ, here's the deal. The vehicle is designed so that the light comes on at about 82,500 miles. This is your reminder to replace the 02 sensor. Then to get the light off you have to buy a new emissions maintenance timer and install it, so your light will come on in another 82,500 miles. I did not price a new timer, I just took mine out and didn't put a new one in. They are located under the dash on XJ's. I didn't replace my 02 sensor either, although for best performance and mileage, it's recommended.

Greg
89 XJ, 83 CJ-7, 79 Blazer, 67 CJ-5

G

·
If I recall correctly it is in the center of the dash just above the floor a gray smoke plastic box you can reach under the dash to get to it.

CB

G

·
That's strange, cuz it just so happens that i replaced my speedo with a new one and now I'll have to check to see what the odometer reading is. my light came on about a week ago and I've tried doing the on/off/on/off/on code thing, but that's no help (did actually blink at me, but the codes dont seem to make sense).

Thanks for the insight!

G

·
I called my local jeep dealer and inquired about this issue. To reset the emmissions timer (91 YJ) and to replace the O2 sensor, they quoted me $366 (that's $84 to reset the timer, $84 to replace the O2 sensor, and $198 FOR the sensor!!).. What a bunch of F*#(@ bastards! First they make this timer go off, then they have the gaul to CHARGE you (me) to reset the damn thing!

So, I called another dealer and they quoted me around $85 for the O2 sensor, NAPA autoparts wanted $68 and AutoZOne wanted $39 (BOSCH brand). I HATE dealers!

anyway, I feel better now. Anyone else out there with a 91 YJ figure out how to disconnect the timer? I tried looking for it (by way of my Chiltons) but cannot seem to locate the timer beneath the dash!

Rockdog

G

·
The second reply is correct. There is a timer to the right of the accelerator pedal that comes on after 82000 miles. The light is not computer controlled and the factory manual says to either remove the timer disconnect it or remove it all together or remove the bulb in the dash. It will not reset itself. It just indicates to replace the O2 sensor.

G

·
Well I cannot seem to locate the timer. My Chiltons is no help either. I can't see paying the dealer money to reset something that they (the factory) set to go off. So.. I'm trying to figure out on a 91 YJ 1) where the timer is, 2) can this timer be disconnected.

I did replace the O2 sensor last night and also changed the oil, then took it for a test drive. About 1 mile down the road, the CHECK engine light came on (as opposed to the Maint. Light), I stopped the jeep, turned off the engine and then restarted it and the CHECK engine light went out. Hmmm, maybe the new O2 sensor just wasn't warmed up enough. Will test drive it again tonight to see if this happens again.

Now if I could just get that damn emmissions timer turned off....

Thanks for the reply..

Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.