Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 yj with 4"lift and 33'sand got it stuck in water up to the fenders.I've changed all of the fluids(tranny,trans case,diffs,oil,gas) also changed fuel filter, cleaned the in tank filter, and changed plugs and plug wires, and cleaned carb. jeep is still surging when idling and dies when i stop at a light. any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif That's grim. We once lost a GMC pickup in the canal. We fished it out immediately, and drained all the boxes and so forth, but it was a progressive thing....today the door switch goes kapooey...tomorrow the heater blower....next the headlight switch...there was no end to it. We should have just called the insurance co to begin with. It ended up a parts truck out in the back boneyard. The ENGINE was OK, and so was the four-speed, the rear axle, the front end, all the heavy stuff. The cab and electrics were a write-off as we soon found out. Look for electrical connections below the water line that may have moisture intrusion.....possibly an electric fuel pump problem (if so equipped?) Believe me, any resemblence between modern Jeeps and a waterproof military Jeep is in name only. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Modern Jeeps do not swim well./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A '90 YJ, Is that a 4.2 carb engine? Pull the top ot the carb off and remove the water from the main wells. Water won't pass through the jets, and dry gas won't help very much. And when it is off, shoot some gumout or carb cleaner down through the main jets. Now is a good time to drill out the bottom of the emulsion tubes. Then change the fuel filter, so it won't happen again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.