Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 95 Xcap Z71 stock. I am wondering what can I try to increase my horsepower without decreasing my fuel consumption drastically. I tryed the K&N filter, Bosch platinum plugs (at standard recomended gap). No difference.
Does the chip really work? Can I do it myself? BTW, someone told me that with the chip you can wear the engine faster, is that true?

thank you.
davidm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 94 GMC 350, I don't know about the chip stuff, but the first thing to go in my truck are going to be the collectors, maybe its just me but they look like power robers.

Will work for mods
Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
So you want to increase horsepower without decreasing your fuel consumption? I would think at 2 bucks a gallon you'd WANT to decrease fuel consumption :) Superchargers are probably not what you want, they cost $$$ and will eat extra gas too. I'd sell it and get a FORD personally.

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
he said some power...good mileage doesn't count if your getting towed /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

anyway, get some good spark plugs wires (MSD SC 8.5mm) and an ignition kit thingy (MSD).... get a K&N filter (it's been debated and rationalized and yadda yadda - just see for yourself what it'll do for you)....keep your tires at a good psi(i picked up 1 mpg)....get a good exhaust system...

ok, there's only a limited amount of space in the power and mpg window.... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

stay away from a chip, unless its completely customized after engine mods

Shorts <-- It's not what you think /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...and don't ask what it is

'94 Chevy K1500, with stuff...needs more stuff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i think he meant without decreasing MPGs. anyways - stay away from the chip, i have one and cant see a difference. get a good exhaust system like flowmaster - even if the engine is sucking more air through the K&N, if it cant get it out better, you wont notice a difference. i put my K&N and exhaust on at the same time and noticed a nice difference. get the $38 MSD coil from summit and open the plugs up to about .010 over stock and several people report a power increase as well as MPG increase (this will be the next mod i do personally). these are some pretty cheap mods that will give you a noticable difference. also, ive heard if you gut the little box on the factory air intake from the fender, it will increase MPGs. personally i have an open element though

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Guys for the advice. I will hold on the chip. I already have the K&N filter (got it about 2 years ago, but don't seem to remember a difference). I forgot to mention that I have the 285/75/R16 tires bigger than the orginial ones. I do keep the air pressure high. I like the coil idea for $38 dollars(is there a big mod to install this coil? or it firs right in?). I don't remember the cables that I bought, but I do remember were top of the line. Whats inside of the air intake box by the fender? something critical for the engine?
Thank you let me know more about the coil model or part number. I am interested.
:)
DavidmZ71

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
the coil is easy to replace. it sits right behind the throttle body, just remove the air filter housing and you can get to it. its a direct fit to the stocker, so you just unscrew the little bracket, disconnect the 2 harnesses, and switch them out. the part number is MSD-8226. you can order from summit($38.9?), plus another $8.50 handling/delivery fee, so, that's about $47 and some change.

if you're not planning on changing gears or tire sizes for a good while, you can look into a VSSB($120) from superlift. that will set the shift points on your tranny with the matching gear ratio and tire size you have - setting your speedo and odo as well. (the VSSB will compensate for the bigger tires)

btw, you can change out your O2 sensor - a new one can only help. i'm assuming you have the heated one like i do, so you're looking to pay between $60-$80 for one. you can get it from the dealer or any auto parts store.

sometimes in those air boxes are these restrictive baffles. they hamper good airflow...or about as good of airflow as you can get with the stock airboxes /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif you can tear out these baffles and get more air.

FYI, AJM has a RamAir Box that gets better flow and cooler air into the throttle body than the stock setup...let me search for the pic.....he didn't like the fact that it also sucks water and mud /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

Shorts <-- It's not what you think /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...and don't ask what it is

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your info. I will start with the Coil (how much improvement did you see by itself?) I will check the air box tonight. I wonder how can I remove the rafles without damaging anything else. Does these rafles help you when it rains? How about the VSSB? is this a mod that I can do? Is this like the chip?
I am not familiar with the O2 sensor. How can this help? Is this hard to remove?
Will all this aliviate my pingin (keep in mind I use 87 octave, I have always used).
thank you.
davidmZ71

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
those that have used the coil said that after installing it they didnt see an improvement but after regapping their plugs about .010 over stock, they did notice an impovement in power and mileage. im sure AJMBLAZER will be on later tonight and he will probably tell you about his experience. as far as the VSSB yes its just like a chip you unplug the old one and plug in the new one. im sure it will have directions that come with it. the o2 sensor is the thing that screws into your exhaust manifold on the drivers side and has a wire that goes up to the towards the top of the engine. its easy to change and when it gets plugged and all black looking it makes the computer do wacky things. i just replaced mine a couple weeks ago and it made mine run smoother. one question: SHORTS - what are you talking about the heated sensor?? i thought everything on the TBI motors was basically the same. mines an 89 and i just replaced it and it was $20. ive never heard of a different one for later TBIs, im curious?

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some people have found that exhausts can increase their mileage. The increased flow of the exhaust helps the motor burn fuel more efficiently in some cases. I recommend buying a Jardine Performance Exhaust. I have one on my 2000 Silverado and I love it. Ok, Ok I'm biased. I work for Jardine (hence the name), but I do have the exhaust on my truck and I love it.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
never heard of em before, do you have a web site

It never fails, when Im turning wrenches on my truck and something can go wrong, it usaully does

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Jardine website is currently down. It will be up in two weeks, hopefully. Off-Road.com is using one of our exhausts for "Project Silverado". They will hopefully be doing the install next month, but I don't know for sure. The link they have up is currently directed to our motorcycle site. Again, hopefully the truck site will be fixed soon. E-mail me your address and I will get a catalog out to you pronto.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put a K&N along w/ a MSD offraod ignition, coil,MSD Heli-coil wires, and AC Delco's gapped at .05 and saw about 1 mpg difference. After a few months I put in NGK's at .06 and gained about another 1-1.5 mpg... This is w/ a pretty worn motor and cruddy 3.08 gears so I was impressed. The power increase is pretty good. If iwas to do it again just get the coil and forget the box. But I would go .060 gap right away... the coil mod is easiy... just remove the coil and drill out the rivets that hold it to the brackets. Reuse the brackets w/ the MSD and bolt it in.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
mphZ71, in '94-ish trucks, the O2 sensors went from a 1-wire plug in the back of the exhaust manifold, to a 4-wire harness stuck in the exhaust pipe before the cat. the TBI motors are basically the same. there are a few accessory things that got changed in '94....for instance, the front grill, or like the air filter housing has 2 bolts instead of 1...the o2 sensors are different...the idler arm has 3 bolts instead of 2....the radio/dash panels of '88-'93 are ever so slightly different than '94s.... the '94 trucks were basically a year of their own, just like the '95s are completely unique(new interior, TBI)

the '96-up trucks with (the OBDII) and dual cats have about 3 or 4 heated sensors scattered in the exhaust pipes before and, i think, after the cats.

i'll try and get a pic of my O2 sensor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
huh, interesting... ill have to look at dads tahoe this weekend. i know the vortecs have a crap load of sensors but i thought up to 96 they were the same. learn something new everyday (me, i usually more than one thing) /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Horsepower???? Who cares about horsepower...it is all about low-end torque. When I installed a basic K&N Air filter in my 98 Tahoe, I got a slight increase in torque and horsepower, then I installed a Jacobs electronics. I got 12 more horsepower, but increased low-end torque by nearly 10%!!!...oh yeah, my MPGs went up. Then the bigger tires, and switched from performance to A/T and lost MPGs. Put a K&N Gen II and Flowmaster exhaust on at same time...2 MPGs increase (almost 3). I get more low end torque now, and run a bit better MPGs then when I bought it.

Bulldog

Life is funner with the Stone Cold Stunner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, when ya'll speak of this MSD stuff, what exactly is it that you're putting in there? MSD makes a lot of stuff, and i was just curious as to specifically what everyone is putting on their 4x's.
Thanks in advance.
-Tom

Black Z-71
`94 GMC
If you got it, a truck brought it.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
wires, ignition boxes, coils..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure about the 95 but on my 94 the VSSB took all of ten minutes to replace. Pulled out the glove box(4 screws) popped the old one out and the new one in. The O2sensor is simple to replace as well. Just unplug the wire up around above the tranny and unscrew it from your exhaust. The only difficult thing is fitting your hand/arm in there to unplug and plugin the wire.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSomebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.