Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help.....

Is there an easy way to identify a Dana 44 while shopping for a used TJ ? The diff housing seems to look very similar to the dana 35 on the outside...

I do know that the 44's don't have ABS.

Is there a sticker that identify's what axles are in the vehicle?

If there is, where is it located and what code is used?

Thanks for all that help.

rod

Life, is what you make of it.........

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey guys, is there anyone who can shed a little more light on this subject? This is the only thread I could find that actually discussed identifying a Dana 44 when looking for a new (new-to-me-used) Jeep.

What exactly is the plastic and metal plugs?

Thanks for your patience with a Jeep hardware novice!!

Sean

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
They are talking about the drain plug in the diff cover. A Dana 35 has a rubber plug in it. And a D44 has a steel plug that you thread in place. That is the easiest way to tell them apart at a quick glance.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Here's some pictures from 4x4wire's site.

dana 35, push in rubber fill plug

dana 44, screw in fill plug

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
In reply to:

That only for TJ's?

My YJ has a metal plug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the YJ never had a dana 44 option. Your dana 30 front should have a metal plug. Your rear does too?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just so I'm clear... if I am shopping for a Jeep to play with - I cannot end up with a YJ + D-44 unless put it in myself? So in theory, if I want the good axle, I should look only at TJ's?

Or is there an axle that came from the factory on YJ's that were good as well, like the D-44?

Sean

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
early d35's do have metal fill plugs though unless some one got creative with covers tj d35's should have plastic fill plugs and 44's should have metal fill plugs. The plug might look a little different than the one shown above and ment for a allen wrench instead of an open end wrench.

BarrelRoll

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Right

YJ's never had any thing but a dana 30 in the front and a dana 35 in the rear. Some ealier CJ's did have 44 rears (pre '76 and some '86's) I believe TJ's only came with a dana 44 in the 2000 and newer model years.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I think the dana 44 became available in 1998.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jim,
That's a pretty cool chart, but they've got the D44 and 60 (etc) covers turned sideways
therefore the width is wrong......
for those who need to know..D44 cover is about 9 1/4 wide.

maybe someone with ths skills could doctor it up and re-post????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts