Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have hammered it, WD-40'd it, used a pitman arm puller, HELP!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

Thanks for any help,
Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Peter, do like I did, get lazy and take it to your shop... it was $18.00.... seemed worth the money over the hassle.

Since you're doing the install, watch out for the track arm relocation brackets. They tend to break under extreme articulation. I had mine welded on.

Grub for the brain (or food for thought... rasta style, man!)

Good luck!

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you take it to the shop they are probably going to use the air version of the pitman arm fork.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I needed to replace mine with a drop pitman and I think I pulled every muscle in my back trying to remove the original .... I finally got smart and took mine to a shop.... $10.

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Did you use the $15 one or the$150 one?
The $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$one works.
If It's a one time deal , pay someone./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks guys, see it's already taken apart and in the garage, lol... I am doing the lift for my senior project in High school, and wasn't expecting it to be on there so tight, lol...

Thanks again, I'll try and get it off...
Peter Lombardi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peter, tighten the puller as tight as you can, then hit the end of the puller bolt with a big hammer. If that doesen't work, have someone hold somthing heavy, like a sledge hammer, against one side and hit the other side with the big hammer. Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apply pressure with the pitman arm puller and then apply heat from a torch but watch out--when mine came loose it popped off like it was shot out of a gun. LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It never hurts to have the right tools.... a quality puller would be ideal.

Spray the thing with penatrating fluid. Tighten the puller, smack arm with hammer, tighten more, smack again..... repeat until arm comes off in a violent manner.

Some heat from a torch would hurt either. Again, I would look at renting a quality puller rather than the cheapie $20 jobs you find at the local auto parts supplier. Your basic rental place will often rent automotive tools so check them out....they usually have better stuff.

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being an ASE certified steering and suspension tech., I would warn you, IF you plan on using the same pitman arm again, DO NOT USE HEAT. A torch will take the temper from the steel, making it weaker, and one place you definately cannot compromise is in steering!! A quality puller run with an impact is the best way to go.....Mark
66 CJ-5
225 "Dauntless" V-6
33-12.5 15 Goodyear Wrangler MT's
2.5" susp. lift
1.5" shackle lift
.....Looking for more!!!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Mine did the same thing, I tried the puller, heat, oils, hammer, and every combination thereof. Finally I used the cutoff saw, and yes, it sounded like a grenade when it let go, I was expecting it and it still scared the hell out of me. I had to put a drop pitman arm on, so I didn't need to keep it. I even snapped a puller, it was a good one, luckily it was lifetime guaranteed.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.