Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought all new stainless steal hinges for my wrangler (1988) and i can't for the life of me get the old ones off, i heard of drillin and then using an EZ-OUT but i want that as my last resort, anyone found any easyer ways do get theses off? i'm talking, door, windshield tailgate hinges, too the only one that came off easy was the hood
thanks
MIkey

(\/)ikey

·
Registered
668 Posts
The door bolts can be gooten at from the inside of the jeep and inside of the door. On my 88 YJ and a previous 91, the bolt ends were squared off and a small wrench fit them nicely.

You could take it to a shop and use an impact wrench to break them loose...let the ease-out be your last resort.

A little strategically placed Liquid Wrench or WD40 might help...let it sit overnight.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
You can use a very small flame and put heat into the bolt for a long time till the BOLT ITSELF is good and hot. By using the small flame, you don't burn everything else up, and the heat is slowly conducted down the bolt shaft to the very end. Heat the crap out of it till it is cherry red, and then squirt it with water until it is completely cold again. What happens is the heat expands the bolt...it swells and crushes the rust...then the water shrinks it back smaller than it was. Just don't get in a hurry. Wait a day if you can to try taking them out.

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only hinges I had probs with were the ones on the windsheild, the front bottm bolts have the nuts in the firewall, behind the speakers,
all the other ones were relatively easy, i used an old fashioned impact driver, (you strike the end with a hamer) and they came out pretty good.
HTH
MAB87YJ

That which does not kill you, only serves to make you stronger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a quick tip - not sure what brand of hinges you got, but if they're Steel Horse, you might as well save yourself some time and money and take them back to where you bought them and get your money back. I don't have them myself, but I guarantee you they are crap. Don't know about Kentrol, though...

Marc
http://contagious-racing.8m.com

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I used lots of "Rust loose" or a similar knock em loose spray, and an impact driver. Took some elbow grease and time, but finally did it.
BTW - you might want to use a different type of bolt/screw when you install the new ones.... avoid the future headaches

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.