Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little jeep is little and I'm .....not....The lack of leg space I can deal with but the steering wheel makes it just a bit tight. Can the column be cut down a bit or is there an easy replacement? I'm not trying to keep it completely stock, just convenient and safe. Thanks

BP

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A

G

·
You have a few options here. You could put on a smaller steering wheel. The stock one is absolutly huge. You could change the column angle by hogging out the dash a little and loosening the steering box bolts, and making it sit higher. If you really want the column to be shorter then you could get one from a willys wagon and swap it in, it is 1" shorter. You could also raise or tilt the seat a bit. I found in my CJ5 that seat position makes all the differance. I am a big guy too; I am 6'2 and 250 lbs. Although I have a small butt. My wife loves that. :)
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The willys wagon column sounds like a good idea, even an inch would make a lot of difference. What about some of the gm tilt columns? It seems there has been some discussion on fitting them in the cj5's. Does anyone know what models might fit the cj3a without too much modification? Thanks

BP

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A

G

·
If you use a gm column you will need to change to a saginaw box which requires a bunch of modification. You can get the parts for a wagon column from: or <a href=http://www.jeepdoc.com> Krage Motorsports . You can reuse everything you have except for the steering worm shaft (runs from box up to wheel). If you just get the wagon steering worm shaft you will be able to just cut 1" out of the steering box end of your tube and re-use everything else. It will still look just like stock. I have a stock wagon steering worm shaft that you can have for shipping costs if you want, although it is a bit rusty and slightly worn. It should clean up ok. I also have a shortened steering tube but is is beat up. The PO had done this mod to my Jeep and I found that it scraped my knees so I changed it back. (you can email me at [email protected])
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 55cj5. I'm going to try the smaller steering wheel first and if that doesn't do it I'll let you know about the worm shaft. Thanks again for your advice.

BP

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.