Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, i currently just have "more problems than a lawyers-briefcase" (chilean proverb)

here's the story...

I got the more or less fixed cj6 back from the garage, engine doesn't start, but that was a matter of minute only...

my friend makes the "V" sign w/ 2 fingers... i think cool-thats b/c the engine started... he says... no, this means ..."the breaks work on the 2nd try only..."

ok, i am on my way home, there are no mirrors on the truck, no turn-signal lights just heavy canvas that blocks sight to the rear - spooky ride believe me... driving by the ear rather than the eye... and i always bear in mind the 2fingers ;o)

in a left turn the right door opens (no mayor casualties)... and crossing a rather busy 2 lane one-way street, the engine dies, and something in the tranny jams up... short story... i am blocking both lanes.. the truck wouldn't budge.. police arrives, find a license plate in the rear of the truck that does not go w/ the other one in the frong (yeah. how do i know) ... they run a check on the license plate .... stolen... my jeep has NO papers whatsoever... no title, no safety inspection and the last time they paid the anual road-use fee was 6yrs ago...

somehow i manage to get out of the mess explaining the unexplainable (in a foreign language), w/o any fines (nor pribe)... and just like its pulling my leg, the engine starts again...gotta love a truck w/ personality ;o)

ok, meanwhile my GF is "pretty worked up" (using conservative terms here :) - after all i missed the church-part of her sisters wedding ...

i manage to bring the jeep home, just to note around midnight (coming home from the wedding, in which i have been sucking up for hours :) .... just to note that the tank is leaking...

and just in case if you wonder... yes, if the tank is leaking in a CJ6... its leaking INTO the jeep... so basically you are sitting in a pond of gas...bad time to light up a smoke ;o)

so after trying the old garden-hose-sucking trick (swallowed about a pint of gas w/o any results)...i crank the engine to burn the fuel rather to fill the jeep w/ it...

suddenly it occurs to me... HOT EXHAUST PIPE!!!! ... and fuel-dripping jeep...not a real good combination

so i take out the garden hose and start cooling things off... meanwhile i am wet and smell like a gas station... my GF even loves me more now... the neighbours... (... but then, lets not go into that much detail :eek:)

finally the engine dies and after a brief period of swearing (about 3hrs.) i manage to pull the tank...(its just 4 nuts that have been rust-frozen for the last 21yrs)

this was on saturday, and i am still smelling like gasoline...

today i will look into the tank-thing a little bit more...

Imagine all those Grand-Cherokee, Pathfinder, Nissan TerraX, Explorer, etc...
guys... THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MISSING with their $30k rigs :O)

... to be continued....

i guess i am a jeeper now... ;o)

alfred

· Registered
7,901 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of jeep ownership my friend.

If I can help with anything, let me know.

I know it sounds corny and like a little kid, but make peace with your jeep. They do have personalities, and if you develop a working friendship, it won't leave you stranded. Those of you that have owned enough older jeeps know what I am talking about, jeeps do have personalities. While mine has had it's share of problems, it has always broken down either right in my driveway or at the best possible time and not the worst. I like to think it's greatful because I rescued it from the scrap heap.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
This was the condition after you got it from the garage? Haha.. what was it like before it was at the "garage"!!

Muddynut
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 78 CJ7 "Issues" /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
He just doesn't understand that we always hope for the best. We know that things MIGHT go wrong, but we always hope for the best. Perhaps he has spent too much time driving rigs from Nippon, or too much time staring at a computer monitor, some of those programmers are really weird/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Only one word comes into my mind while reading this: DUMBASS!"

... yeah, but at least one with a CJ6 .... ;o))))

Alfred

ps: I am not sure if i am the only one who sniffed too much gasoline ....hahaha!

· Registered
532 Posts
what.. no flat tires? ahhhh jeeps.. they are a beautiful thing.. if i were you, i would consider myself fortunate. if it had been me, and i was sitting there in a puddle of gas, after all these events, my wife would have taken up smoking, just so she could throw a match in there with me. gotta love it.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

· Registered
7,901 Posts
WSB and Alfred both own Zuki's and like to rib one another. I have driven with WSB, great guy, don't come down on him too hard, but it is a Jeep thing, he wouldn't understand...

...I'm sure Alfred understands though!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Used to own one until I Just Emptied Every Pocket trying to keep the unrelible thing going.
Personally, I don't see the big deal over a CJ6, I would rather have a CJ8

Jeepn- Thanks for the kind words

Wayne

G

·
It sounds like you got a good one, with character ! A few more trips and you're gonna know everything there is to know about it.
Most people couldn't have made it, they just arn't mechanically inclined, so they say [censored] like ol dumbass there... Nice work with the cop, ol dumbass would'a ended up in jail. (if he could have survived the trip up to that point) : )

· Registered
2,105 Posts
My barely running, hard to stop '56 CJ-6 is just as much fun (maybe).
My most exciting event so far is when the big nut on the steering wheel loosen up enough to loose keyway to the shaft...
Thank heaven this happened at the end of a little jaunt around town (I try to run it around once a month) and I ended up on a sidewalk near home ... instead of out of control in the middle of a busy intesection /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif. Whew!!

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

· Registered
4,519 Posts
What happened to the Jeepster? /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif You are only at the start of the adventure, have fun. I would have liked to see the explaining to the police, it is a whole different story speaking spanish, I would have started laughing. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

John
48 CJ-2A, 49 Willys truck, 70 Jeepster Commando, 89 Wrangler, 98 4x4 Tacoma

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey, hurcules:

good to bump into you again... quite some time... The reason why i decided for the cj6-thingy was the rear overhang (or shall we call it balcony ;-) and that i got a killer deal on the cj6 (still not sure if it was a good deal or no....jejeje)

... about the police thing... fortunately i was already pi$$ed enough about the whole thing ... i didn´t really care... lots of bystanders, too... just needed a tent to open up a ferry... but fortunately things worked out nicely... will have the tank welded (.... if i'd do it myself, this could be another funny story :)

heard a good tip from my "2finger" mecanic that i'd like to pass on... you have to route the exhaust-fumes into the empty tank before welding... the hot air w/o oxigen will burn/evaporate all fuel particles that might still be in there... than you can weld it up...

plan to take it wheeling this weekend.... so watch out for new stories on monday... (at a newstand near you)

good talking to you again!

alfred

· Registered
4,519 Posts
Well really the tank should be boiled before welding, but the exhaust trick does work, that is how they weld on the big gas tanks at filling stations. If the motor backfired though, oxygen would get in the tank and..... boom...... /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Well, at least you got a Jeep, a CJ-6 is great, but a Jeepster is still better......./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Good luck with the project, I want to plan another trip down there, but all my $$ is pouring into the Jeeps......./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Keep in touch.

John
48 CJ-2A, 49 Willys truck, 70 Jeepster Commando, 89 Wrangler, 98 4x4 Tacoma

Attachments

· Registered
7,901 Posts
Hurc, you got a website? I have a '71 SC-1 I'll be building in a year or so, and yours looks about right. I'm keeping the 225/TH400/D20 and was thinking of adding some HD axles and SOA. You got a website?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

G

·
hey HERCULES....nice parking brake on the Jeepster....gotta respect the rock...just watch some a-hole doesnt steal it on you!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.