Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent a AMC727 with NP/dana 300 adapter, strapped to a pallet, wrapped in plastic , from AR to GA

it arrived wrapped in plastic, no pallet, no output adapter...

the claim is pending, im waiting to see what they say, I have a drop off ticket with a weight, a UPS rep is supposed to inspect it at the destination some tome tomorow, I can only hope he weighs it and sees the 30 Lb difference..

any body ever dealt with such blatant vandalism/theft/disregard for shipped goods?

Id lve to hear ANY advice on this...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

G

·
I just got a Molson neon sign through UPS. It was very well wrapped and had "fragile" on the box about 12 times in bright red stickers. It arrived broken. Of course the claim is pending.......

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif When the Alaska pipeline company finished the job and auctioned off their equipment, a close friend of ours went there to the auction and bought several complete repair trucks. First the railroad ripped him off charging outrageous fees to have their own "experts" tie the trucks to flatcars, then on the way to the lower 48, the trucks were systematically stripped of everything of value. Welders, hoses and cable, cranes, tires and wheels, transmissions,....he got a skeleton. If I were you, I would NOT relent on this. UPS knows who each and every person is who even CAME NEAR that pallet. Hold them accountable, and get LIST PRICE for what is missing...THOSE CROOKS!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
You might want to take UPS to small claims court, if they don't show up and you just won your case. Do you want to know why they don't care? because they are UPS-Under Paid Slaves. hahaha. lol.

Good luck,

Nycjeep :)

G

·
I ordered a new monitor and it came via UPS, HUGE hole in the front of the box, the delivery guy handed it to me and said hope it works, if not contact the company you bought it from......screw UPS I have had TONS of trouble with them.

The computer monitor did work, but still thats not the point

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
absolutjeep,
Don't feel bad. I seem a UPS driver deliver a 21" computer monitor to a home. Rather picking a monitor from the truck, he just push the monitor right off from inside of the truck then tried to roll the monitor to the front door (keep in mind monitor box is square!).
Also, ups loader at the docks will mark or relabel any box with electronics and computers on outside of the box. The stupid things is that when they relabel those packages, they normally ends up either in his home or his friends' home. That's when the NYC police moves in for the bust (this happened in NYC 5 years ago and after they assess all of the computers and electronics, total value was close to 100k).

Nycjeep :)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are SUPPOSED to send someone to check ou the damaged package but You guy check out these pictures and tell ME whats missing?

the pic maynot work Ive never doen this before..
it sure doenst look like itll work.. from this end..

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

Attachments

G

·
Well, guess I have to be the contrarian again. I ship or receive from UPS almost daily. Never had a problem of anykind. A shipment took almost 2 weeks to get from Houston to Illinois. Their records showed that it went to Illinois, back to Houston, then back to Ill. Did not create a problem for me. Was something I was returning to another company, and neither of us was in a hurry. UPS returned my shipping cost as a result of a phone call only. No problem.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
My Web Site

G

·
OK! Finally someplace to tell my eye-witness account!
I worked at the Salt Lake International Airport some years ago. The UPS crew was loading one of their aircraft. They load the cargo containers in the front, then roll them to the back of the airplane; so the tail gets heavy first. They are supposed to put a brace under the tail so that it doesn't wheelie when loading. Guess what! NO BRACE! I saw it just a couple minutes after the $$$$$$$$$crewup. The nose was 50 feet in the air and the tail was crushed on the concrete! OOOPS!!!

(former user: ddehaan)

G

·
I have to agree with Doug, UPS has provided nothing but good service for our company. My problems are with FEDEXcrement. I had a Hilti Drill shipped overnight and didn't receive it for 5 days. Their excuse was that their regular driver was on vacation and the fill in couldn't find it, give me a break, that's pathetic. They have delivered to our place at least a hundred times in 99 and stated that we must not have an acceptable address. I have also had poor luck with CF's Memphis Hub. They continue to tell me that someone is refusing my packages, when I know differently since they never even showed up. I've picked up my own package up there 3 times in a row now, could've just picked it up at the supplier's dock. UPS shows up every day at the same time, 8:30 am and has all of the packages.

T-bone 72CJ5

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif That naked tranny looks pretty blatant to me!!!! THOSE CROOKS!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If you think UPS is bad you should see regular trucking companies,It is one of the reasons I wanted to have my engine remanufactured locally to avoid damage or theft.hold them accuntable for every penny .hell even claim some other stuff missing from inside the package,they ripped the wrap.you should have refused delivery and made a claim for the full value of the unit,and got yourself a new one.do not sign anything or accept anything less than what it is worth,even if you have to get a lawyer they are responsible.
I personally have never had a problem with UPS ,I am suprised they even shipped it they useto have a weight restriction of 50 pounds per package.
Good luck

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Our UPS guy is knockin' down just a wisker over 50K. We learned that during the strike. Not bad, for nothin' invested and no education./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

G

·
I've been using UPS for the past 10 years and had no complaint until now. I've shipped boxes up to 125 lbs without a problem. Their weight limit is NOT 50 lbs. Any package over 70 lbs has to be identified bya Yellow sticker indicating that it is 70 lbs or more. I've shipped 4 boxes with HP LaserJet III Si printers in them (125 lbs ) from NY to CA and it arrived in perfect condition. I did use a thick box (3 ply) and wrapped it well. Using a trucking company would have cost me over $200 to ship the printers compared to $55 (UPS charge).
A few weeks ago a purchased a 4 inch lift from a guy in PA. I sent the guy a special box I had made so that the springs would fit perfectly in the box. Once the guy in PA received the box and packed the lift I called UPS to have the box picked up at the sellers house (PA). They showed up at my house instead. When I finally got them to pick up the box in PA, it's been a week and they can't find the box. Now I have to wait 5 days before it is considered lost. If they do not find the box, I want a new lift. And they better buy me the OME not the ProComp one.
One word of advice, make sure if you are shipping something to add enought insurance to cover the item. The first $100 of insurance is free, anything above $100 is $0.75 per hundred. I guess if I would have put a $1000 value ($7.50 for insurance) I could've bought the OME lift.

Just my experience.

[email protected]

G

·
Must add another note.
I was an interstate trucker (owner/operator) for 13 years. One year in freight hauling and 12 in house hold goods. 48 state and Canada. In some terminals you had to stand guard over the truck and contents with a shotgun, others would wash your truck, take you home for dinner and NEVER scratch, damage or especially steal anything from the driver or the shipment. I even ran accross a driver that worked out of the same office that I did selling stuff out of his trailer at a truck stop. Far as I know he is still in prison. No further comment!!! Went into an office in a run down area of a run down city (no names, for obvious reasons) and the first thing the office manager said to me as he stuck out his hand by way of introduction was, "We're connected." and it was pretty obvious to me what was meant.
Point is - there's good 'uns and bad 'uns in trucking as well as 4 wheeling. (sorry to say) Protect yourself as best you can....seat belts, roll cage, insurance on your shipments, keep records, even take pictures before a shipment is made if it is really important. Don't sign for anything until you are satisfied with the condition, don't drink and wheel. COMMON SENSE, and a wee bit of self protection, and you should be ok most of the time.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
My Web Site

G

·
I had a friend that worked at UPS loading delivery trucks each morning. He was doing this for some extra cash b/c he was in college. All the people loading trucks w/ him were college students as well and they prety much worked unsupervised since it was a graveyard-type shift. Anyway, he told me his fellow loaders would go out of their way to drop and throw items that were labeled "fragile", then they'd laugh and award points to the guy that made glass shatter or boxes break open because that meant they could grab all the goodies inside (usually cd's) and take them home.

The moral of the story: If you send a fragile item via UPS, don't label it fragile.

-Dorian
88 YJ w/ multi-speed wipers

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Good point made by John C.
Make sure EVERYTHING is insured for enough to cover full retail replacement cost.
I also include enough to cover the cost of interest I have to pay when replacing a customers part, and the cost of the hassle of small claims.
I have had two claims disputed by UPS, one for a aftermarket Harley engine cases (denied, but paid two days after they were served with small claims notice, never went to the court room) and fuel injection system from the west coast (won by default when the lawyer for UPS couldn't find my file in the court room. The judge called him a moron, and awarded me an extra $200 for my time and trouble)
Things come and go pretty good around here, but there is the occasional screw-up.
When something happens around here, it's always something really expensive, never the cheap stuff.
I have heard some real horror stories in Fla. about UPS theft.

Later folks, Aaron.

So many cats.... So few recipes...

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif that's GRIM, John. Really grim./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.