Off Roading Forums banner

HOOD LATCH WORKING TO GOOD.....

638 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  HOGHEAD 
#1 ·
Hello guys ,,, I have a 87 heavy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive ,,, The problem is the cable to the hood latch must be broke ... This is my work truck & I need to get into the engine compartment ,,, is there a trick to opening it when the cable pull dosent work ,,, If gone though all of the searchs unless I miss it I couldnt find the solotion ....
Hate to use a fire wrench on it ,,,, Dont tell me like my friend tells me GET A FORD

Thanks in advance

The HOG

See less See more
#3 ·
yup that solution works if the cable is actually working and the mechanism inside is stuck a little bit. if the cable is broken, you'll have to cut it somewhere to get to it and pull it. if you're luck the cable will have broken right at the handle. so you have lots of slack to play with. if its broken by the grille you'll havea hard time.
I'd try the pull lever then pound hood method. and you can also try the two man operation of one pushing hood down, the other pulling latch. sometimes that works if the bump stops are set improperly

#4 ·
Thanks guys ,,, It poped right open with the wife pulling & me pounding
.... I lubed it up good & now it works great ..

Thanks Again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.