Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Just a very simple and quick question...Will the continous hold solenoid fail with constant power running through it? In my previous career as a boat captain I had a parallel switch. This was a momentary on solenoid that allowed the opposite battery bank start the opposite engine using both sets of batteries. Out of habit I always used this switch to keep the batteries up. They were a series of (4) 8 volt batteries on each side. The engines were a pair of 870hp 12v71 Detroit diesels. There was very little room to get around those beasts and swapping batteries was not a fun task. Weekly I would check the battery level and top off with distilled water.
So now my point..
Why not run the batteries seperately, then use a momentary solenoid to start the engine if either battery fails? Then you could use smaller diodes in the charging system to each battery ??? As a habit use the switch to start the engine. One hand on the key and the other on the thick fat button.. Just my thoughts and please give me some feedback..Thanks...
BTW.. I guess it was not such a simple or quick question..sorry..

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What if you got one of those seat switches, like the ones in a lawn tractor. If a moonguy didn't weigh much the switch wouldn't energize, then the button couldn't be pushed, then no dead batttery..How 'bout dat?
Maybe I am gettin' a little silly.. Sorry

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Farmjeep, do you also pull those tags off of your mattress? Ya' know you ain't uppos to do dat either.

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.