Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yep farmjeep, you are correct. I mentioned this to CJdave in one of the many replies to his post. He suggested that if you want to use both batteries for cranking (since the oil press sw will be open circuit as you said) have a manual toggle switch running in PARALLEL with the oil press sw that, when fliped on, connects the soleniod to ground enabling both batteries to be joined while cranking. i.e. if either the switch or the oil press switch is a closed circuit, the batteries are acting as one.
Have you built yours yet? I'm working on a tray to hold both batteries right now.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I agree with CJdave's moonguy crew chief. The dead batt would be robbing cranking power from the secondary batt (which is fully) charged. In the ideal situation, you wound want a big ass diode to keep current from flowing INTO the primary batt during cranking only. However, big diodes can cost money, get real hot, and often still break! Even if the primary batt is completely dead, the secondary batt should still be able to crank over the motor, just like using jumper cables. Nice schematic mr rush, that's the way mine will look, no diodes.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Sounds like a plan mr rush, I can handle that 30sec modification in the event that the primary batt is dead! I like it when a plan comes together, (or did the A-team say that)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Interesting use of the diodes blackjack. That would have to be one pretty dead battery to not click the solenoid. I think we all have a pretty good idea on how to build our dual batt setups, though no two will be alike!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.