Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has confused me for a while, so I'll ask you guys. I wanted to make a 1 inch body lift for my 93 YJ, but I keep running into dead ends. One person suggested using aluminum bar stock, cut it, and mount it. But I also read that the aluminum reacts with the YJ's metal body after a while... true?

I know alot of people use 'boat rollers?' unfortunatly there ain't any in the city, don't ask, I've looked and called everywhere. No wait, I did find some at Lowes, but the rubber was so soft I couldn't see how it could support my jeep.

I don't really wanna spend 75 bux for a premade one inch body lift, if I did, I'd just buy a 2 inch body lift for the price and be gone with it. Actually I figured that I could make my own, and buy decent poly mounts for 20-30 bux less then those on the market. But I want a simple little project at a reasonable price. Ideas? Suggestions? Help?

-Brian
93 YJ, 4.0L, Tuffy'ized interior

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The "idea" is to use hockey pucks, available through any sporting goods store. The "suggestion" is don't. While hockey pucks work, they are no substitute for the real thing. The $75 investment for a real body lift kit is well worth it; and it will include all the required brackets needed to relocate your radiator shroud and such. You won't find a spring, or even a spacer lift for anything close to that.

Hewgag

Right Wrongs Nobody

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John: hey thanks! I can afford Rusty's I think. :) I'll try to give them a call to find out the details.

Besides relocating the radiator, anything else needs to be done? I wouldn't think there would be shifter interference.

Thanks guys!

-Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, should the rubber mounts be replaced, or if they are in good condition, should they be used again? Anyone switched to poly and notice a difference?

thanks!

-Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Radiator or fan shroud get relocated (I'm waiting and doing a 1" motor mount lift at the same time so there is no need to adjust these[coo]).
You can keep your body mount bushings if they're in good shape, if money is really that tight I'd skip on the poly's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd have to agree, buy a kit there not that expensive and it will last a lot longer that the hockey puck method (new hockey pucks will cost you more that a cheap kit) I've got the daystar poly 1" lift and it wasn't to difficult to install except for the rusty bolts. on my cj all I had to do was move the fan shroud one spot on the radiator
-Mark

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
what i did on mine was:
i found some 2 inch square steel tubing on a jobsite and cut it 2 inches wide, drill a 1/2 bolt hole through the middle.

But by the time i brought a cut off saw blade and 11 bolts washers nuts I was pretty close to the price of a kit.

brownbagg </font color=red>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.