Off Roading Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
G

·
I needed tow hooks up front and a bumper, so I decided to fab the factory bumper by taking about 4" off both sides, then cutting 4" by 3" squares in front of the frame rails and mounting my tow hooks on the inside of the frame rail with grade 8 hardware, the tow hooks face inward and you can easily get to them for strapping or winching. You can get an idea from the picture on my site, if you want close ups I can take a few and send them.

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G

·
I just put a wrangler pitman arm on my CJ with 2.5" suspension lift. It leveled the steering geometry perfectly. You only need to take a hack saw and file grooves were there are none. (3 plcs). These are normally throw aways from your friends! Ken

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I needed to tow the jeep plus I needed someplace to mount a shackle. I built a towbar from scraps. The ends connecting to the jeep are 1/2"x3-1/2" wide stock, oriented vertically. I cut two pieces of 3x3x3/8" angle about 4" long for each side, and welded the flats to the bumper with the vertical ends of the towbar seperating them. I then drilled 7/8" holes through the whole contraption and secure them with 7/8" shackles. When I pull the towbar I have very secure shackle mounts. I also reinforced the front bumper by adding an integral winch mounting plate and tying the whole thing to the frame in several places and the front sway bar mounts. The towbar is designed so that the winch can be used while the towbar is in place.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

G

·
Anyone ever seen those 'Tap Lights' on those stupid infomercials?? Guess what they're about the size and brightness of a dome light and can be easily attached to your rollbar with some hose clamps... Sounds kinda cheesy, but you get six of em for like $15.00... and no wiring needed... You could mount one under your hood too to get some light in there?!?!?! Just some ideas....

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
OK boys the gauntlet has been laid down & the toy boys say their wippin us with ideas............lets show-em what we got.
Keep-em coming!!!!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

A little friendly rivalry never hurt anybody ,thats why we love competition/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

G

·
Homesewn?

I just realized we forgot to mention the sewing of your soft top trick! It saved my wallet about a year and a half ago. Just use dental floss to sew up holes in your soft top. Some of the other guys on this board know the stitch, I know it, but don't know what it's called...Being that dental floss is nylon it's a LOT stronger than pretty much anything else that you can sew with. Than just seal it with epoxy and you're good to go. Also for repairing ripped up or shredded windows I recommend packaging tape..I change it about every 4-6 months. The reason I know all this is cuz some jerk had Jeepenvy and ripped up my top and windows causing about $2,000 in damages. /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif but I fixed it all for under ten bucks. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSo now I keep both packaging tape and floss in my tool box when I'm off-roading. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust Empty Every Pocket/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Well, after putting on my new custom tire carrier on my 85 CJ7 I still had the two stock mounting brackets on the body. I removed these, drilled the holes out to 1/2" and then welded them onto the rear bumper. I then mounted 2 100watt lights on them and wired them to the transmission. Now I have some killer backup lights. Total cost was $40.

G

·
If you use the gear selector off an old (OLD) 10 speed, and put a wingnut on it you can have an adjustable throtle that you can lock at any RPM!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: Homesewn?

In reply to:

I just realized we forgot to mention the sewing of your soft top trick! It saved my wallet about a year and a half ago. Just use dental floss.....Also for repairing ripped up or shredded windows I recommend packaging tape....
Even better than dental floss is heavy waxed thread, as in the speedy stitcher I describe below, then RTV (silicone) over the stitches. Packing tape makes an awful mess, there was a lot of it on my Jeep when I bought it. Here's an older post of mine describing a better way:

I just finished replacing the second of two soft top windows (they were slashed when I bought the Jeep), and have worked out a reasonably simple technique. You'll need the plastic (obviously), which I got from a place that does awnings and boat covers for $15/yard (60" wide). Don't use the thin stuff you can get from the hardware store; it will turn brittle and crack in less than a year (been there, done that). Also some double stick foam mounting tape (1/2" wide), and a "speedy stitcher" sewing awl, which has a spool of waxed thread inside the handle. You can do without the speedy stitcher and do it by hand with a big needle (as long as you use strong waxed thread, not ordinary sewing thread), but it won't be fun.

Don't cut out the old window yet, you need it to hold the top in shape. Cut the new window to the exact same size as the old one. Now apply the foam tape around the edge of the old window (to the window itself, not to the surrounding fabric). Peel off the backing, and stick the new window to the tape. Now sew all around, right through the foam tape, pulling it tight enough to compress the foam. This way it won't leak. Now you can cut out the old window at the edge of the tape. Finally, run some black (or other color) electrical tape around the edge, covering the stitching and foam tape. Good as new, and only 1/2" smaller all around.

-Dana

1. Misogynist.........Women are no good
2. Feminist...........Men are no good
3. Environmentalist...People are no good
4. Cannibal...........People are good.

G

·
On the back up lights I did one more step, I wired it to a three way switch
on-off-on. This allowed me to shut them off for when I'm in the supermarket parking lot so I don't get them ( Martha looky at them dair brite lites) looks, or I can leave them on while in neutral to see when I hook-up a trailer or tow strap. Run a fused wire to your 3-way switch center terminal, now run one wire off a side terminal of the 3-way to your back-up switch on your trans, run another wire off the other side treminal of the 3-way, and splice it to the wire that runs from the other side of the back-up switch on the trans, and then splice these two wires to the one running back to the lights. Now you have more options, It also works great for the fools that love to run bright light behind you, but then agine you might just get a ticket or a little road rage.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I also added a switch in the ground wire (there's a ground wire to the frame 'cuz of the fiberglass body on my CJ5) for all my tail lights-- that way I can shut them all (tail, blinker, brake lights, backup) off when off road, especially after dark. There's also a red warning light under the dash to remind me to turn them on again when I get back on the pavement. Makes it a little less conspicuous when wheeling in an area where it's legal, but not fully appreciated by neighbors.

-Dana

Starve a feeding bureaucrat...vote Libertarian.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.