Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
My favorite homebuilt items on my Jeep are the side nerf bars. They were built out of schedule 40 pipe
and some used weld Ls from a job site.

My original plan for these was to keep people from hitting the side of my newly painted fiberglass body
with their car doors, it turned out they had a better purpose. I was on the interstate that split three
ways. There was a Blazer that was in the wrong lane for where he wanted to go and tried to change
into my lane. He tore up the whole side of his Blazer on the nerfs and all I got was some scuffing of
the raised letters on the tires. The guy must have been a real idiot, left the scene of the accident down
another exit and ran a red light. I guess he could have been drunk, but it was 7:30 AM.

The nerfs attach to the frame and are solid enough to lift the Jeep. They only stick out to be about even
with the width of the tires.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Miller Time (Dorian),

I can't get any pictures, I told you he ran a red light to get away. Oh, maybe you meant of the nerfs.
They look like most any of the factory nerfs now. Reason I built my own was I wanted checker plate
recesses in them to give a good place to step. About a year or so after I built mine, now the factory
ones are that way, and I mean identical. Just 3" pipe with tight weld Ls at the end and bolted through
the frame. I'll try to get some pictures, you guys need to see the Taz graphics anyway.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I considered the same thing with tilting the hood and front fenders but not the grille when I went to
a 'glass body. I even had a scheme that used a piece of angle formed to go across in front of the
cowl with hood hinges that would let the hood open normally OR tilt forward with the fenders. I
decided it would not be rigid enough and shake all over the place so I bought the AJ's one piece front
end.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
And that reminds me... When I had to repace the windshield, I had the mirror mounted much lower,
just an inch or two above the padded dash ('58 Desoto style). Now I can see the right front fender and
the mirror doesn't block out the traffic lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.