Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
7,901 Posts
CJTAZ-

I built similar nerf bars for my wife's TJ. Seems I was wheeling one day and ripped both factory steps off it (at the same time). So I said, "Don't worry honey, I'll build a better set." So I did. It took my older brother and I about 4 days, but we built them from Schedule 80 steel pipe, 1.5" in diameter, thick and small. I also added an intermediate bar, about 5" in from the other, so pointed rocks wouldn't jump up and damage the body between the frame and bar. We tapped the frame and used eight 7/16" bolts on both sides, connected through the 1/4" plate the bars were welded to. They are the width of the tires and no more, and they're 1/2" below the body metal.
The day after we put them on (actually it was 13 hours), and we hadn't even painted them yet, my wife hit some black ice and put the TJ onto a stone wall at 35 mph. She hit so hard she dismounted the tire from the rim (thankfully not hurting herself, the jeep, or the rim). She locked in 4WD and drove off (love the posi), then looked at the damage. The wheel was dismounted but the bar was barely scratched. She wouldn't let me take them off to paint them until April. They're functional, tough, look nice, and only cost me $75 in steel and some labor.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,901 Posts
Some mods I have made.
TJ: Hi-lift mount made form stopsign channel. Believe it or not, it's a perfect fit. The groves in the channel exactly fit the grove in the high lift. I put some bolts through with locknuts, welded some nuts to T-handles made from pipe, and voila, instant rack, and lockable too. We have it mounted to the front of the TJ.

Scrambler: Rear tow hooks made from 5/8" U-bolts, bolted to the rear frame.

Dual E-brakes, although I removed them after I installed my lockers. I bought 2 E-brake setups, cut 2 U-channels in 1/4" plate, and used turnbuckles as tensioners. I connected the pieces with 1/8" aircraft cable. Worked great and each was individually adjustable.

Steering brace made from old Scout II bent drag link. Welded 1/4" plate (it's my friend, what a wonderful steel!) to one end and muffler clamp to the other.

U-bolt inversion using the rear spring hangers from an '82 1/2 ton 2WD Dodge.

Moved front springs outside the frame to accommodate the front Scout II axle. I did this to keep the same width and center the axle. I didn't want to cut it down as I have a few spares and can use them when (not if) I blow them. I also didn't want to have 4" of extra axle sticking out on one side. I made the mounts from what else, 1/4" plate, made a U-cradle, and cradled the frame from underneath. I then added 2 triangle supports on each side and bolted each through the frame using three 1/2" x 4" bolts. I then reattached the shackle and spring mounts to the cradles, exactly 2" out from their original location.

Made my own rear shackles from 1/4" steel bar, reinforced with extra bolt and spacing collar in the middle. Added 1/2" of lift to even out the body sag.

Quick detatch 1/2 hard top. I went around the outside and inside with 12 boat latches that hold lids closed. They're the hook and eye type, so I flip them up and remove the top. It's easier to remove the hard top on the Scrambler than it is to put the soft top down on the TJ and it's still waterproof!

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top