Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about everybody's handmade tricks that you did'nt have to buy.
I've seenalot of GREAT ideas on this post that I've made like st. box brace,
blazer motor,shackles , things that most anybody w/ welder/torch/saw(jeeper)
has.
How about websites? Anybody got specs with their mods?
We all have a lot of tricks we are'nt shareing , right?
Spill your guts!
It's christmas..........I'm broke and I'm bored.
Get me out in the garage & starrt building!
Thanks.

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

G

·
You can always dabble with the swing away tire carrier...or go to a junk yard and hook a big rig horn up to your on board air..or get on board air if you don't have it already. Cut out your front fenders (it looks great). Make frame mounted exaust hangers to get it off you body. How about customizing your dash....put in a tach.....interior light on your roll bar...clock in your dash...cup holders....or change your airfreshener!

I am doing a body swap over vacation...my last finals are tomorrow...so I already got my hands full!

I'm not afraid of dying...I'm scared of not living

chevy-Cj-7

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You could add a floor heater to your Jeep like we did with a flat-topped tunnel/riser for the console to sit on and a heater tucked into the tunnel/riser to heat the floor. We have already spent 600+ bucks between the seats of our CJ, NOT counting the seats, but you work in a big salvage yard and can get stuff for free. I worked in a huge wrecking yard on weekends when I was a kid and had a car built ENTIRELY out of the yard./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifFind a box heater and get with it!

CJDave

· Registered
1,401 Posts
i've resently bought a set of 4 junkyard wheels and changed the offset (i added 1 1/4" backspacing to 2 and removed 1/2" backspacing from the other 2) i don't have any pictures yet, but you can checkout 2 other wheels i did before at: http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/dana60.html

how about moving shock mounts: "Rear lower" up, and "rear upper" inboard, also changing the pivot point axis'. so they look like an upside down "V" leaning forward when viewed from behind. (the point is to prevent bottoming out or limiting suspension droop, and get them up out of harms way)

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
My favorite homebuilt items on my Jeep are the side nerf bars. They were built out of schedule 40 pipe
and some used weld Ls from a job site.

My original plan for these was to keep people from hitting the side of my newly painted fiberglass body
with their car doors, it turned out they had a better purpose. I was on the interstate that split three
ways. There was a Blazer that was in the wrong lane for where he wanted to go and tried to change
into my lane. He tore up the whole side of his Blazer on the nerfs and all I got was some scuffing of
the raised letters on the tires. The guy must have been a real idiot, left the scene of the accident down
another exit and ran a red light. I guess he could have been drunk, but it was 7:30 AM.

The nerfs attach to the frame and are solid enough to lift the Jeep. They only stick out to be about even
with the width of the tires.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Shackles made out of 3/8" steel plate. Rear bumper made out of a machine frame I got from my company and cut up all the steel, drilled holes in it, and mounted it to the jeep, along with a swing-away tire and hi-lift carrier made from the same frame, drilled-out rear yoke that accepts u-bolts to hold in the ujoint instead of the bad strap-and-bolt design, little horseshoe clips that screw to the dash that hold my flashlight, nice machine-quality vacuum gage that now resides under the hood, permanently mounted (free), old garden hose that acts as great protection for battery cables, etc., etc....

Keep thinkin' - stuff is cheap!
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

· Registered
401 Posts
Well, lessee.....

I'm kinda proud of the center console in my CJ5. I started with one of those cheap "organizers"-- you know, the kind with a curved bottom to fit over the center tunnel of a car, and little spikes to grip the carpet, with two cupholders, CD/tape holder slots, and some other compartments. I cut it off flat on the bottom and screwed it to a board that was cut to match. Immediately behind it and also bolted to the board is a 50cal ammo can, with provision for a padlock. The whole thing is then bolted to the floor.

Then there's the "trunk". I don't have a tailgate, so after putting a steel channel accross the back to support the spare tire carrier (also homemade-- I didn't think the fiberglass body was strong enough
), I built a box with a hinged (and locked) lid to fill the 6" space behind the rear seat (it locks to the channel). This is the place for jumper cables, lug wrench, extra oil, etc. It wouldn't stop a determined thief, but nothing in there is all that valuable anyway.

I also added a bar from the center of the rollbar to the center of the windshield, as the stock attachment hardware in the glass body didn't support the windshield adequately. It provides a place for the dome light (salvaged from a Nissan truck before taking it to the junkyard) and an aircraft compass (from a wrecked Cessna 150).

No question about it, Jeeps are the easiest vehicles in the world to bolt stuff onto, no two seem the same.

-Dana

Have you any idea how successful censorship is on TV? Don't know the answer? Hm. Successful. Isn't it?

· Registered
1,391 Posts
I got tired of swinging open the rear tire carrier, then dropping the tailgate to get in the back of my Scrambler. (It's too tall for my dog to jump in over the side) - So I removed the tailgate hinges, drilled two holes thru the swing arm and mounted the tailgate to that. One easy-open maneuver. To look at it, it looks like nothing was done, but it is quicker to open/close the tailgate.
That's my gift, if anyone can use it.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

G

·
OK, here's something I got out of a magazine that is really cheap, easy, and useful...

Lot's of AMC carburetted cars and Jeeps that have AC have a small electric solenoid on the carb that has one wire running into it. For the V-8's, almost all Wgoneers have it. Anyway, its purpose is to bump up the idle when the AC is on.

So get one, and just wire it to a toggle switch on the dash, and voila, instant high idle. I use this everyday until the Jeep is warmed up, when on steep hills, and when running the on-board air. Most junkyards will say you can just have it... - Chuck :)

Chuck Hadley

· Registered
969 Posts
Re: Homebuilt tricks Hey 3/4tonYJ

I saw on your page you mentioned Rosser 99. You mean the one in May at Monteagle? Check my site for pics - I led trail rides there for 3 days. I don't think I remember seeing your Jeep, but you may remember my Toyota truck.

There were wasy more Jeeps there - my Toy would be easier to spot /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

David
Davids 4x4 Page

G

·
For next ot nothing I built a hi-lift jack mount out of angle iron and turned my stock front bumper into a rock crawler bumper by
cutting 5" off each end so it won't interfere with approach angle. Here's a pic, I nknow it's not very good, but what do you want
from 3 year old polaroid film.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

· Registered
1,929 Posts
HEY CHUCK HADLEY

What does the solenoid look like? And where is it on the Carb? I have the Carter BBD, do you know if there is a solenoid for this Carb. I could really use that with my on-board air.

Thanks,
TOM85CJ7

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 32"BFG MT, Durabak On-Board Air

G

·
A twist of baling wire keeps that jack handle quiet./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

· Registered
7,901 Posts
CJTAZ-

I built similar nerf bars for my wife's TJ. Seems I was wheeling one day and ripped both factory steps off it (at the same time). So I said, "Don't worry honey, I'll build a better set." So I did. It took my older brother and I about 4 days, but we built them from Schedule 80 steel pipe, 1.5" in diameter, thick and small. I also added an intermediate bar, about 5" in from the other, so pointed rocks wouldn't jump up and damage the body between the frame and bar. We tapped the frame and used eight 7/16" bolts on both sides, connected through the 1/4" plate the bars were welded to. They are the width of the tires and no more, and they're 1/2" below the body metal.
The day after we put them on (actually it was 13 hours), and we hadn't even painted them yet, my wife hit some black ice and put the TJ onto a stone wall at 35 mph. She hit so hard she dismounted the tire from the rim (thankfully not hurting herself, the jeep, or the rim). She locked in 4WD and drove off (love the posi), then looked at the damage. The wheel was dismounted but the bar was barely scratched. She wouldn't let me take them off to paint them until April. They're functional, tough, look nice, and only cost me $75 in steel and some labor.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

· Registered
7,901 Posts
Some mods I have made.
TJ: Hi-lift mount made form stopsign channel. Believe it or not, it's a perfect fit. The groves in the channel exactly fit the grove in the high lift. I put some bolts through with locknuts, welded some nuts to T-handles made from pipe, and voila, instant rack, and lockable too. We have it mounted to the front of the TJ.

Scrambler: Rear tow hooks made from 5/8" U-bolts, bolted to the rear frame.

Dual E-brakes, although I removed them after I installed my lockers. I bought 2 E-brake setups, cut 2 U-channels in 1/4" plate, and used turnbuckles as tensioners. I connected the pieces with 1/8" aircraft cable. Worked great and each was individually adjustable.

Steering brace made from old Scout II bent drag link. Welded 1/4" plate (it's my friend, what a wonderful steel!) to one end and muffler clamp to the other.

U-bolt inversion using the rear spring hangers from an '82 1/2 ton 2WD Dodge.

Moved front springs outside the frame to accommodate the front Scout II axle. I did this to keep the same width and center the axle. I didn't want to cut it down as I have a few spares and can use them when (not if) I blow them. I also didn't want to have 4" of extra axle sticking out on one side. I made the mounts from what else, 1/4" plate, made a U-cradle, and cradled the frame from underneath. I then added 2 triangle supports on each side and bolted each through the frame using three 1/2" x 4" bolts. I then reattached the shackle and spring mounts to the cradles, exactly 2" out from their original location.

Made my own rear shackles from 1/4" steel bar, reinforced with extra bolt and spacing collar in the middle. Added 1/2" of lift to even out the body sag.

Quick detatch 1/2 hard top. I went around the outside and inside with 12 boat latches that hold lids closed. They're the hook and eye type, so I flip them up and remove the top. It's easier to remove the hard top on the Scrambler than it is to put the soft top down on the TJ and it's still waterproof!

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.