Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CJ7 SOA on outboarded springs, Waggy 44 front, No shackle reversal, axle in stock location.

I can't seem to get the right pitman arm and hi steer arm combination to work.

I started with Shaker arms and they put the tie too far forward, the drag link would have been on top of the tie rod. Plus, one of the arms wasn't true, so I got rid of them.

Next was Sky Manufacturings medium arms (TRE holes at 6.5" from the ball joint). Looked better, but with a CJ or Waggy pitman arm the drag link TRE would still contact the front of the drag link at rest.

Have a caddy arm that will clear, but has to be top reamed and is about an 1.5" shorter than the other pitmans, so I would loose proper steering radius.

So tell me what you are using or what works.

BMB

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: Hi Steer w/ SOA on a CJ (44Front) , How to do

im in the same situation but havent bothered to try to fix it.

i think parts mike arms are shorter, but he doesnt make the 2 hole pass arm last i checked.

i think ive seen blank ones on ebay, you could drill & ream to your desired measurements.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well i used parts mike arms.. and mine rubbed alittle, but i had a schackle reversal and offset springs so my axle was about 1.5" forward.. i ended up using a pitman arm from a mid 80's dodge 4x4... it was about an inch shorter than the waggy one i was using.. had plenty of meat on it so i could ream it for the 1 ton tie rod end... and it worked fine

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't know if there is a difference in the CJ steering gear compared to my YJ, but I used Sky's tall arms, and inverted 'T' drag link to Tie rod set-up and a pitman out of an '84 Dodge ramcharger (about 5.25" working radius). With this set-up my steering ratio should be near stock and I have plently of clearance between my TR and DL at the pitman.

BTW, I only used Sky's TR hole, the DL hole remains empty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.