Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, (this may be a bit on the esoteric side so I took a stab at some of the regulars, my apologies if I missed a guru or 50).

I've been looking for a new hi amp alternator for my CJ-7 running a 258 with V-belts. I ran across this Ford style and thought it would be cool to have an alternator with a built in isolator for my battery system.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/High_Amp/Ford_Dual_Output/ford_dual_output.html

EDIT: had wrong link in there.

So the question is, anybody care to guess if this thing will fit into my stock location/brackets with a v-belt?

Also any other options for hi-amp and/or dual output alternators I should look into?

Assistance apprecicated in advance!

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I don't seem to be able to find the one with the isolator you are talking about. All I see are internally regulated.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

·
Registered
526 Posts
I took my stock alternator to a local auto electric shop and had it rewound to a higher output. It's now 130 amps and it works great.

'86 CJ-7, 360, TFI, 727, OEM Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Lately there has been some 140 amp replacemnet alternators for Jeeps on ebay for $69-$89 depending on the application. Youcan also get them rewound as stated earlier. I put on the high output GM one wire version, had to modify some brakets though.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I agree with all the above...

1. IMHO 140 amps is overkill, unless you're powering a small city or a huge welder. Have you figured out your power requirements?
2. FOMOCO doesn't aslways fit Jeep mounts easily... more fabrication.
3. Internal isolation? I think you mean regulated. Remember the more utility you pack into one item, if one of the utility items within the package brakes, it's all broken... that's expenisve.
4. If you're dead set on 140 amps, you'd be better off going with the Mopar 8-47529 on the Mopar Page or the 47294 on the Jeep page and get the GM style mount that would fit your OEM bracketry.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I used to have my stock alternators rewound, usualy for about $100, ( results are usualy about 100 amps cold at 2000 rpms),that is enough to keep up with any lights i might need on night runs. Lights and a lot of winch use though, pushes the limits of a 100 amp alternator, even with dual Optima batteries. I am often asked to work winch spots on night runs due to my night capabilities, so I installed one of the Powermaster 140 amp alternatoirs from Summit Racing, then another, and another and finaly another, which is still in the box. They just couldnt handle the work load, I have a few other freinds who have bad luck with them, also, which tends to make me think maybe its not bad luck afterall???
I would advise to have a shop rewind a quality Bosch housing, and not worry about it, after that.
I am currently running a lincoln Big Housing Ford version with external regulator, they come out of the box with a cold amp rating of 100 amps, and are buildable to 200 amps. I am gonna have one rewound to 200 amps and place it where the smog pump used to be, and run it off of a clutch as a welder, inverter, and back up alternator.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts