Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He\'s dead, Jim...

_(*&$#!)*&$!!!! Cruising home last night from Alabama at 85mph, the engine just stalls. No backfire; no sputtering; no coughing; IT JUST DIED!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

So I figured it was the fuse that powers the EEC relay, since that blew last week (I still don't know why), but all the fuses are OK. Next I check the coil wire for spark - none. Then I bust out the Haynes and test the ICM (YES, on the side of the highway/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif) and it indicates the ICM is bad because the wires from the PIP and coil are good, but there's no pulsing of the coil's TACH circuit.

So I passed by Advance and NAPA this morning (in a borrowed Chebby - I still feel dirty/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif) and they both tell me it's good.

Now I'm about to head outside to run thru the ratnest of wires joining the '83 body harness to the '95 engine/engine compartment harnesses to see what's up. Does anyone have any ideas?

BTW Thanks to havack for sacrificing a couple of hours and a few quarts of tranny fluid towing me 40 miles home. Who says an E4OD can't tow 6000lb at 70mph in OD?/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

· Registered
6,800 Posts
Re: He\'s dead, Jim...

if you're not a drinking man you will be by the time you figure it out :)

good luck!

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

G

·
Re: He\'s dead, Jim...

Juice from the ignition side of the solenoid? No PIP signal sounds like the loss of an ignition module. Now for the ever-popular "have you pulled the codes?" question.

· Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Codes? We don\'t need no stinking CODES!!!

Yes, of course./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I'm usually the one asking that Q. I was trying to edit that post late the other night when the servers loaded up and quit talking to me.

Anyway, it had 522 (MLPS circuit open/in gear - except this computer isn't programmed for an E4OD/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif), 452 (No VSS signal - I dunno why not. It's connected.), 211 (PIP circuit fault), 212 (SPOUT circuit grounded).

I cleared them and the only one that returns when I crank on it is 522. So I pulled the EEC and took it around town looking for someone to test it (HA!!!), but a tech at the dealership told me it almost can't be in the EEC ($250 from Ford, $140 from NAPA, $35 from my favorite supplier/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif). He said it was almost certainly the PIP, so I bought a distributor from CQ ($100 plus $70 core - I didn't feel like pulling mine apart to swap PIPs), but with the key on and me spinning the new dist. by hand, it still wouldn't jump a spark. So I pulled the coil off the block and wired it straight to the battery and grounded it myself, but it STILL won't spark. It tested only .2 ohms out of spec (it's 1.2, but the range is .3-1) on the primary which is a little higher than when I bought it (0.8), but I figured it should still work... BUT IT DOESN'T!/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif And it was 6:30PM by the time I found that, so everyone but Advance was shut down. They want $90 so I can wait a week for them to get this extremely rare part (No one drives F-150's with the 4.9L so why stock a coil for it?), but I figure NAPA, National, or CarQuest will have it, or I'll order an aftermarket one from Jeg's or Summit.

No, muddy; I didn't even drive by the Zone - I wouldn't take theirs if they were giving 'em away./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

G

·
Re: Friggin\' coil!

It's funky that the thing puked out all at once. Usually they buck a bit before giving up the ghost, and you can restart when the thing cools down. Glad you're back on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.