Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These didn't come out very well because they are webcam pictures..and its WAY to bright outside for my poor wittle webcam.
As you can see the hood and dash aren't done yet.
Somebody should be coming over tonight to help me finish..I would do it myself but I don't want to drip paint everywhere like I did the first time.
It's corvette yellow..pretty bright.
Its kinda gritty though.I read in my paint book that I believe on some kind of paints you need to wet sand it with 800 and then buff it..
Does that apply to acrylic enamal?
There are also a few runs..and some high and low spots.I wish i would have gone to perfection on bodywork..but it came out alright.I didn't think you would be able to see all those high's and lows.

Its four wheel drive and naked women what more do you want?
-Dirt Dog
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah..when I get it finished I will try to take some 35mm pictures and post them here.

-Dirt Dog

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hmm.

Could almost call it sexy.

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Way Cool Joey, you did good!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Now that's the way a CJ should Look!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just got done painting it.
The guy who was going to come over got sick so I painted it myself..I think it looks alright
I've also have to sand down the dash and paint it..but I need some more thinner.
I will hopefully be done today.

-Dirt Dog

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Joey it came out better then alright. It came out great because you did it. You can now go around braggin that you painted YOUR jeep. Not how much you spent at the body shop. I want some good pics.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Me likes, me likes. I especially like the little yellow spot on the tire in the last pic/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Great job, Joey!

Now search friendly!

G

·
Looks good Joey!
I think ya did a great job on it! Personally, I like yellow on a CJ. I think LEVE would agree /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I am looking forward to the new pics.

William
1980 CJ7 258 Holley EFI / Mallory Unilite/ Dana 44F ARB / AMC20 1-piece Detroit / T-98A tranny / D300 / Ramsey RE10,000lb / ARB Snorkel

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Cool. As long as you did it you can have a feeling of pride./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif You are never going to have the first one looking like a show car. It only gets better on each one. Glad you stuck it out. Now you can do the next one better and better./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
How do you think we learned??????
Good job.

29" Thornbirds, pine air freshener, 401 to 2.5 conversion
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I mentioned I had some one else lay down the paint /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif
I did it first and messed up pretty bad..
One of my mom's friends kids(he use to paint cars) came over and saw the atrocity(had paint drops on hood..a few runs) and he came back over a day later and helped.
He got sick and couldn't help me finish with my hood and dash.
Well I didn't want to wait so I took a stab at doing my hood tonight.
My hood looks a LOT better than the rest of the jeep that he painted.He didn't feel the need to clean the body much after sanding so I couldn't bitch..since he was helping me for free.
I wish I would have done it all by myself.
I should be done with my dash in about 30-40 minutes.
Last question er two..I promise :p
Do I need to wet sand this paint with 800 and buff it?
Is it hard to sand down an area with runs or bad bodywork and do it again(fender)
Is it hard to get the color to match?
Thanks
Joey

-Dirt Dog

·
Registered
840 Posts
with acrylic enamel no buffing is needed if it looks grainy or sandy than you had too much air pressure or your paint dried too fast (read that as wrong temp reducer) but it is your first and like the other poster said it only gets better it is a jeep so perfection would be wrong and if you worried about the finish than wait a couple of days and drive it through some brushy trails and give it the true jeep paint shine lol

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm selling it to buy another jeep..so I would like it to look sorta nice.
I used the right type of reducer.
Its that actual sanding debris got in it.

-Dirt Dog

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Joey , I just finished my first paint job too . You probably have some overspray ( which can give that slightly rough look) on there . Enamel takes some time to properly cure , DONT be in a hurry to wetsand yet , I would wait at least a couple months . And look for some paper in the 1500-2000 grit range for final wetsanding . NOT 800 !!! Mine turned out really decent , I followed Jaffer`s tips down to the finest detail . I painted my CJ5 Dodge Viper Racing Yellow , man is it ever bright !
They will see me coming for miles ( that`s what I wanted though) /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif . I`ll post some pics of mine when I get them developed . See ya

Jeff

O|||O /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts