Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i just bought a gallon of herculiner and i am planning on installing it this weekend, My question is this. I had to put replacement floor pans in and when i did i siliconed all around the cracks to prevent water from coming in....Probably not a good idea, so will herculiner stick to anything or does it need to have metal to grip to. thanks for your help....Also should i brush it on or roll. Which will give me the best look.

she thinks all my trucks are sexy!!!!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
trust me here. ... that stuff will stick to everything.. so BECAREFUL with it..
wear gloves.. long sleeves..and tape everything that you dont want that on.. my friend did his.. and he had to sand it off his hands. lol.. i would roll it.. either way it will similar to each other..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did my CJ7 tub 2 weekends ago... MAN, WHAT A PAIN!!!... but well worth the effort. The person I bought my Jeep from had done some home-made floor pan replacements using Aluminum -- did a pretty damn nice job of it. Just like you, he had also used silicon all the way around it, and the Herculiner didn't seem to have any problem sticking... although I wouldn't be too comfortable if I was covering large surfaces of silicon. As long as you have floor mats, I doubt it will be a problem.

Make sure you take your time preparing your tub. Applying the stuff is relatively easy, but if you don't properly clean and prepare the surfaces, it won't adhere as well as it should. Yeah, the stuff will stick remarkably well to your hands, clothes, feet, fingernails, etc... but it will eventually peel off of oily surfaces, improperly prepared aluminum, and even painted metal if you don't give it a good scuffing. I got some of it on my old seat bolts (which obviously had not been prepared), and two days later the Herculiner peeled off - as easy as the rind of an orange. Read the instructions (especially if you have any aluminum surfaces)! I know, that takes the fun out of it, but this is not the sort of project you want to do more than once.

Whether you use Xylene or Acetone to prep the tub, wear gloves and make sure you're in a WELL VENTILATED AREA! That stuff will kill ya!

Finally, wear throw-away clothes. Between the Herculiner and the Acetone, you'll never want to wear them again.

Good Luck!

Go easy! You're talkin' to a greenhorn.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I didn't use herculiner but another brand .I doubt it will stick to silicone infact I used a bead of silicone around my roll bar base so I could remove it in the future.I think we(my daughter and I ) used brake parts cleaner to get it off our hands.I had some ugly glue on the bed from where a previous ouner had glued carpeting down, it would not come off so I went over it and it stuck good on it.also before applying it I treated the surface with rust converter as added insurance.
you will need brushes (disposable) and rollers ,don't plan on using them more than once.wear old cloths and strip anything out you don't need to be in the way.the stuff I used had to be mixed part A and B and had a limited time to work with.It does tend to get all over the place especially on you.
lots of luck

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A very limited time to work with. Thats why they sell little cans.Do it as quickly as possible. Once it starts getting thick it doesnt look as good.Use the brush first to Cut in.By the time you get around to the second coat it will be getting thick. I dont remember if it could be cut with anything to thin it back down. If it can,use it.I dont think you could use the acetone to thin it.All in all it is a fine product.I am very happy with the way it holds up,not to mention the great cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It stick to my silicon just fine. Also, to keep it from getting thick, like the others did, right of the bat pour a little bit of xylene in. not too much, i used about a teaspoon. As you go, keep stirring it, it will get thick quickly. Make sure you mask everything that you don't want it on. Doorsill, steering wheel, rollbar, seatbelts, hood, etc. If you do get any on your hands, wipe it off with some xylene or waer it for a few days. If you do it right, it is better than any thing else.
ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all of your comments that is much appreciated

she thinks all my trucks are sexy!!!!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I started Durabaking the interior of my tub in the evening and finshed sometime that night. This was in FLORIDA and I still didn't have to thin the Durabak out. I wore some crappy clothing and when Durabak got on my hands I just wiped it off on the pants in some sort of design. Up- I now have a great bedliner and designer Mud Bog jeans with the back pockets ripped off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.