Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering is anyone has used, or knows of anyone who has used, Herculiner do it yourself bed liner. How does it compare to a professionally installed spray-on liner like Rhino?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Haven't seen it personally but 4wd and offroad magazine did a review and they really liked it. The cost is also good $100 versus $300-$400 for a professional job. As soon as spring comes I plan on trying it myself.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifStraight outta Oregon, land of trees,ocean breeze, and a lotta mud!/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
yeah but those magazine's like jeep's too, so that is not saying much for the product..hehehhehhe

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yeah I know what ya mean!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifStraight outta Oregon, land of trees,ocean breeze, and a lotta mud!/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I've heard from other people who have used this is that the ad's and commercials etc, don't give you the whole story! Apparently you have to do a hell of a lot of prep-work, it's not as easy as just dumping it on and paint brushing it around like they tell you!
I've never used it, but like yourself I was thinking about trying it to, so let me know if you go ahead with it and what your thoughts of it were?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I'll let you know how it turns out if I decide to do it. Their web page explains the procedure and it also notes that once it dries it permanent, so I am still apprehensive about trying it until I have heard from someone who has had a good experience with it.

Thanks again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be very interested in how it works out for you, that's if you do use it? Reason being is that I'd like to ripp-up my carpet and coat the whole floor with it for a more water-proof underlay, and it makes cleaning alot easier?????????

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok here is what you do, Go to NAPA and buy 3 cans of generic truck bed spray. About $7 a can. Tape of the top of the bed rails and anything else you dont want to get spray on. Then its just like spraypainting. Use the cans and keep 1 for touchups. You will have a "Bedliner" for less than $50. I used the stuff on the whellwells of my 71 Volkswagon its great. Dont waste money on the other stuff, there's simply no need.

Throw it in reverse and grab second

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok here is what you do, Go to NAPA and buy 3 cans of generic truck bed spray. About $7 a can. Tape of the top of the bed rails and anything else you dont want to get spray on. Then its just like spraypainting. Use the cans and keep 1 for touchups. You will have a "Bedliner" for less than $50. I used the stuff on the whellwells of my 71 Volkswagon its great. Dont waste money on the other stuff, there's simply no need. Tod

Throw it in reverse and grab second

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I've tried the stuff that you guys are talking about although the product I used is called Durabak and is made by Cote-L (don't know about Herculiner). Yes, to do it right you need to do a good job on the prep work. This entails cleaning, light sanding, cleaning again with Xylene, masking and then the application. It goes on well once you figure out the technique (kinda lay it on thick). It comes with a special roller applicator but can be sprayed on as well (instructions for spraying are included). I would also recommend some foam style brushes in various sizes for touch-up and detail work. It really makes a mess of clothes and skin (cover everything and buy some industrial type rubber gloves).

The finished product is kinda like a rough asphalt but with a rubbery texture. It is similar but also different from a Rhino liner. I think the Rhino liner would last longer, but it is also MUCH more expensive. So far the liner has held up to some good abuse with no real damage. If any occurs, you can re-apply to the affected areas. Stuff placed in the bed stays put nicely. I would recommend this to someone looking for an alternative to the more expensive spray-in liners. It is much better overall than a drop in IMHO for about the same price. Also, customer service from the company was absolutely fantastic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts