Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help with Tuffy\'s Overhead Console

hey, my new Tuffy overhead console has been sitting in my room for way to long and it's waaay past time to install it :)

Does anyone have one and can share any tips?
My biggest concern is this -- how to wire the radio in the console. Should I...
1. Run a larger gauge wire from the stock loom to the new location
2. Scrap the orignal radio loom all together and make my own
I need a steady 12V and if I understand correctly the gauge over a certain number of feet is important! Any help?

-Brian
93 YJ, 4.0L, Tuffy'ized interior

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: help with Tuffy\'s Overhead Console

Just reposting....

-Brian
93 YJ, 4.0L, Tuffy'ized interior

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Check out this URL:

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/faqs/wiring.html

I'm not real sure what the stock wire guage for the radio, but you could find the amperage rating on the radio and CB and the length of wire that you will need and use the charts on this page to help you select a wire size.. and if $$ isn't too tight it wouldn't be a bad idea to bump up a size or two (larger gauge wire, smaller number)

Sorry, I don't have more info, but I haven't wired mine up yet... The guy that was supposed to bend my aluminum for my overhead console told me the aluminum was too thick after I already got it.... Now I have to look for a little fab shop to do it for me...

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If you need some specific info about aluminum for a CB rack, perhaps I can help. My CBracks are in most of the states now as well as Canada. Will be happy help if I can.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The hot wire needs to go all the way to the battery, and it needs a fuse. The hot wire supplied with the radio should have an inline fuse. Don't absolutely have to run all the way to the battery, but it helps with the static problem. Anytime you have connections there is a possibility for them to corrode, slip, get wet all sorts of stuff. That problem, or potential problem doesn't exist in a straight wire. Electricity still goes through, and other things that work off the same hot line will work well, but the radio will pick up static from such connections. The same size wire that is on the radio itself should be sufficient. Make sure the ground is good too. Same static problems exist on the ground side as the positive side.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.