Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a cam and now the engine won't start. I think I have everything correct. I have the distributor set to the #1 cyl. when the timing mark matches TDC on the harmonic balancer. I have spark and gas. It just won't start. Any ideas. BTW it is a 304.

· Registered
253 Posts
I assume you put new lifter in also??? If you did...Then you need to prime the oil pump. (the lifters have no oil in them so they dont lift as much as they should.)

Try that I think that will help..

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Mac /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1975 CJ5 304 V8
JEEP, Anything else is just a car

· Registered
2,280 Posts
It could be that the distributor is set for the number 1 cylinder at Top Dead Center of the exhaust stroke, instead of the number 1 cylinder at Top Dead Center of the compression stroke. The timing indicator will show the number 1 cylinder at TDC of either the exhaust stroke or compression stroke, not just the compression stroke.
dave
I've made that mistake more than once!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay Two questions. How to prime the oil pump and how to check if it is on the exhaust stroke? Thanks, Carl

· Registered
253 Posts
Well How to prime the oil pump and see if the dis is on the right stroke can all be done at the same time (not really but you will see!)

Priming oil pump
1. Pull the Dist out.
2. Look in the dist hole and you will see the oil pump shaft. It has a big slit on the end of it.

( Now you need to find something to fit in that slit. And also fit in at drill.)
3. Once you find something that fits. Cut a piece of garden hose (1 foot) and slide it over the oil pump shaft.
4. Put the Piece you found to fit, in the slit, inside of the garden hose. The garden hose keeps the tool from slipping off of the oil pump shaft.
5. Start the drill and it will start to pump oil.
Do this for about a min or two and it will be primed

Now Next item on the agenda

1. Pull the no 1 plug out
2. Put you finger on where the plug was and turn the engine over (disconect the coil first) and you will feel pressure ( trust me you will feel it)
3. Stop as soon as you feel pressure and then look at the harmonic balance. and it should be close to TDC. Put it on TDC and you are on No 1 Compression stroke.

Put the dist back just like you did before with the Rotor on the Dist pointing to the No 1 Plug wire.

Of course put the plug back in and then you just need to start it and adjust the timing.

Hope that helps!!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Mac /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1975 CJ5 304 V8
JEEP, Anything else is just a car

· Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm more of a Chevy V-8 guy, but you can tell if your at top dead center of the compression stroke buy pulling the #1 spark plug and looking, (if you can see the piston when your distibutor rotor is pointing @ #1 plug wire, you good to go)
so, are you sure your getting any spark? (even if you timing is off, you will be able to get the plug wires to spark while cranking the engine)

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The piston is at the top and I had the spark plug on the exhaust manifold and was getting a spark. Thanks, Carl

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Well, it might just be that your intial timing is to far off to get it started, try turning your ditributor @ 1/4" one way, if no luck, turn it back the other way @ 1/2".
Assuming you did nothing other that change your camshaft, and turning your ditrubutor gets it started, continue turning it while it's running to get it to the idle RPM that was about what you had before, (almost the lowest it will go and stay running)

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.