Off Roading Forums banner

HELP with CR85 not starting

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jsDIRT 
#1 ·
OK we just bought this bike for my son, it was working great, now it won't start, there is no fire going to ther plug, my hubby checked all the electrical parts and gets a reading.. When we tried starting it with pushing it, the gas was coming out of the exsaust, what could cause this?, we are thinking the CDI, but we do not want to buy one before we are sure.. If only we knew someone with the same bike to try our CDI, anyone have any ideas.. Thanks

#2 ·
CDI units almost NEVER fail -- you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning! DON'T replace it -- they are VERY expensive.

Sounds to me from what you've posted that you have fouled a spark plug due to a sticking float. If even the smallest piece of crud gets lodged between the needle & seat, it can prevent the fuel from being stopped -- then if you have a plugged overflow hose, the only place for the fuel to go is directly into the crankshaft area .... & cylinder, then exhaust soon afterward.

I would remove the carb, remove the float bowl, & give every single passageway & hose on that carb a thorough cleaning. You could try cleaning the plug too, but if it were me I'd just buy a new one -- or 3 -- they're cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.