Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm new here so please bear with me. I bought an 81 cj7 that someone has kinda butchered up. Any way, it has a 4.0L from a 90 Jeep Cherokee in it. That part is cool. However, the guy that did this cut out all of the fuel injected stuff to put on a carb. My question is, what type of intake manifold and gasket do I need to use to make this work. Someone please help me. I'm stuck in Germany so parts are rare. Thanks to all in advance...

the_Bear

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
In reply to:

what type of intake manifold and gasket do I need to use to make this work

[/ QUOTE ]

Make WHAT work? are you trying to set it back up as FI? or is the manifold gone and you need another one to go under the carb...?

If you are trying to switch back to FI, find a junker and rob all the FI stuff including the harness and computer. There are lots of websites out there addressing the 4.0 in to CJ swap.

If you can't find something in D-land, go to Car Part.com and order up one. If you are Military, having it shipped to your APO/FPO won't be much more $$$ than domestic shipping.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what I am trying to do. I havethe 4.0L installed in my Jeep. I don't want to mess with the fuel injection. The guy that started the project hacked most of the wires anyway. All I want to do is find out if there is a way to put a carb on the 4.0L. If so, what intake would I have to use. I know that the stock one from the 4.0L won't work because it is injected. Can someone please help. I really want to get this thing on the road.....

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Don't understany WHY you would want to strip the FI out of it...but it has been done. You can use the intake off of a 4.2 or a 258, but they will need to grind them some at the head. Get a mc2100 off a mid 70's fullsize Ford and run with it.

does someone have Jaffers web site...it's bookmarked on my old windoze box and not on the new one...He has a good explantation of the differences in the head/intake/exhaust between the 4.2 and the 4.0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.