Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 88 yj 4.2, manual and for some reason it dies after running it about for 5 minutes, i changed the distributor, distrib. cap, and coil, and its still doing it, anyone got any suggestions or ideas i checked the fuels and they are all ok, it just stared out of the blue, and i can't drive it anywhere, thanks!
mikey

(\/)ikey

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
You might want to check the ignition module located under the windsheild washer bottle on the driver fender well. They are very strange about how they go out, some all mat once and others in stages, Mine would just shut down every once in a while while out on the highway, and then start right back up. This was very annoying. hope this helps. They are about $25.00 at Auto Zone and are good to carry as a spare. Takes about 5 min. to change out.

Gp'n

·
Registered
314 Posts
A friend of mine had this problem with a78 ford truck . it was one of the wire/connecters at the coil.As the engine heated up the plastic thing that holds the wires on the coil it would lose the connection.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Can you describe a few more symptoms? That is, "I just start it up normally and it drives fine for about 5min (warm up time perhaps?)...and then (for no good damn reason and without warning) .... it quits on me.........or is it ..."after about five minutes the thing starts missing and bogging and then finally stalls???? As you can see...it's a big difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok here is what it does, i start it up, it starts up perfectly fine, it runs light a beauty for 5 to 10 minutes until it reaches its normal operating temperature, about 180 or so, then it just dies, it doesn't choke, or miss or anything it jsut shuts off, if i let it cool down for about 45 minutes to an hour, it will start right up and no problem, until it gets to the normal temperature then it dies, i did noticed that the wires near the coil are loose, and if i pull on them the jeep does die in the same fashion as it does by itself, but i don't understand why if i hold or tape or anything else those wires to the coil why it shuts off, and can u buy just the part that plugs into the coil? thats all i've found out, i'm assuming its the conneection on the coil, but even it dies, shouldn't i be able to more the wires on the coil around and make it start again? because it doesn't until it cools down....
oh well thanks for the ideas tho
Mikey

(\/)ikey

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Re: HELP!! WHATS WRONG WITH MY JEEP!! Now you\'re getting somewhere!

Ok...you know that it's heat related. The faulty component fails when the engine (or engine compartment) reaches operating temp......it works again when it cools down. There are a couple of ways that you can approach this that come to mind. First (easiest) is to take it to a shop with a fairly advanced diagnostic machine (a Sun Interogator for example) and have the motor cold when they hook it up and watch it fail on the machine. This is complicated by the fact that you may not be within 5-10 minutes of the machine...which means towing it there (or taking a couple of hours at the 5-10 driving/ 45 sit and wait technique) which may double the normal $45-60 charge for the service....which is why many choose the parts replacement technique. You can also get a can (or cans) of ozone friendly non residue aerosol (for that matter carb cleaner shouldn't work too bad either) .......you let the engine quit and spray various components with the cooling spray and see if it starts. You can either spray them one at a time and go to a different component each time after trying, and failing, to start ...or you could spray them all and begin eliminating one component at a time until it fails to restart (this assumes that it does restart after using this technique). If it's a wire that opens at a certain temp....you should be able to wiggle the harness with it running and get it to stall....the Sun Interogater can detect this as well with a "wiggle test".
Heat related failures are a pain.....it can be anything from a coil or wire lead that "opens" to an electronic module that becomes "unstable" at higher temperatures. I hope that this helps.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.