Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K anyone please help me? Today when I was pulling out a friend's drive and my Jeep just stop moving. At first I thought it was the transmission again... When I got out to inspect it. I find the rear passenger side axle is sticking out from the tube like by a good foot! I was able to jack it up and push it back in, then limp home in 4wheel drive. I don't believe that the axle is broken though because I didn't hear a snap or any other sound. Oh yeah its an 85 CJ7 w/ the AMC 20 rearend. I'm assuming the cause would be because of the 33X14.5 tires but I hardly gave any gas it was simply pulling out of a driveway. So what could it be? I think the AMC 20 have the retaining clip thing, so could this be it? If anyone could give me any advice on what it could be, how to fix it, or any other help info. it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
Jake

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The AMC 20 doesn't have C clips. Take the wheel and drum off and find out what happened to the retaining plate or if the shaft has slid in the bearing. Do you have the original two piece axles or has it been upgraded to the one piece axles.
I wouldn't drive it again, I'm surprised you made it home without the wheel falling off.
There is a diagram of the AMC 20 at this site
http://www.crocker.com/rigid/M20BP.html

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
i have done this a few times...the retaining plate has been worn through and the axle shaft comes out...this is usually from a bad wheel bearing..i hope you didn't drive it much, it's a good way to bore out the bearing races and ruin the axle. otherwise, the bearing is almost$20 and the retaining plate is $10..you should chage both while your doing it... and for a bit more, you could upgrade...

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah they are the orginal two piece axles. Is it hard to change the retaining plate and bearing? I'm going into this blind, I've never worked on anything with the axles before!! Thanks a lot!
Jake

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
It really no big deal, the 20 are known fot this. My first jeep did this. Take it to a machine shop have another bearing install, be on the road in about a hour. cost about $100. then start looking for a better axle. but by all means keep the jeep. it not really that bad.

brownbagg

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
When I had to change axles (spun a 2-piece), it cost me for the bearing and retainer, but it only cost $10 to have the new bearing pressed on at a local maching shop. Check around, it's usually cheap as it takes no time with the right equipment. It's a relatively easy fix, you'll see once you get into it.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your help... I found out that the axle was scored so I can't use it agian. So I just ordered a set of Superior 1pc. axels! Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.