Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tilt steering needs to be rebuilt ...bad!I live in anaheim calif. If anyone knows who in my area rebuilds them please drop me a line .What should iI expect to pay for a rebuilt unit? 1984 cj 258-4.2w/ tilt.Thanks for any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you don't find a local shop to rebuild it, I could do it for you. Let me know if you are interested and I'll P&A the parts and get you a price. Should be someone closer though (I'm near Castaic/Santa Clarita). Check with body shops around you, those guys always need columns rebuilt for wrecked cars (collapsed steering columns) and should know of someone near you.

My other car is a BULLDOZER

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went through the same dilemma with my '90 YJ. I thought I would just rebuild it myself - not a good idea. It could be done, but I felt it woud be better left to someone who had done it before. I checked several places (none available in my area) and determined it would cost anywhere from $250-$275 to have the rebuild done - add shipping costs and it turns out to be a little pricey. I called the local salvage yard and was able to get a complete column out of a '94 for $200 (the bonus was that they gave me the leather wrapped steering wheel with the deal). Make sure you give it the "good once over" before you buy it.

Although I did not use their service I did get a good response from the guys at www.columnsgalore.com. Good luck.

Depewtee '78 CJ-5 (in the garage in pieces)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just how do you know it needs to be rebuilt. I have a address at work that
has instrutions on how to tighten the tilt up in about 15 min.
Is this what you all need?????????????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all mine needed was to tighen up four screws. i locktighted them with the red stuff. good as new but i don't think you can do it in 15 minutes even after you've done it once. better allow about 2 hours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see where you are coming from. I had read this page 6 months to a year ago
and sitting at home I could not remember it all and thought all you had to do
was pull the wheel . I still have not read the page but if i remember right
to save time this guy only retighted 3 of the bolts. what ever just thought
this might help someone . I still would do the 2 hr than pay $200 bucks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everybody is assumming that it is just the four bolts that need tightening. In my case the bearings at both ends of the column were worn/gone. Additionally the turn signal cam and horn mechanisim were not working (this is why I opted for a salvage yard column). Consider all options. Good luck and it is all worth it once you get that column retightened.

Depewtee '78 CJ-5 (in the garage in pieces)
'90 YJ (still in one piece)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.