Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and girls. I am new to all of this stuff when it comes to steering. See i was installing my steering stabilizer and i realized that my inner tie rod is a little loose....like i can turn it about 1/16th of an inch maybe a little more. I was planning on going to ocala this weekend to go camping, and i wanted to know if it was that big of a deal right now. i am going to fix it when i get back, but this palce is a hour away. But once i get there i will not be trail riding, just camping. Any help would be great, thanks
Matt......79 CJ7....by the way i do have a second vehicle, so it is not like i cant go. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure if a 1/16 of an inch is too much to worry about, but if you are that concerned maybe you should take the other vehicle. I have seen steering systems coming apart after a hard trail ride and still make a 45 minute drive home in front wheel drive (he broke the rear drive shaft) because there was no other option. I wouldn't worry about 1/16 of an inch unless you drive really hard or offroad. If you still can't decide then take the other vehicle.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may be missing your point, but you should be able to grab a tie rod and turn it a little, after all it is a little ball and socket joint. Just shouldn't have any slop at all.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.