Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i have to trailer my boat (16' fiberglass) a few hundred miles tonight so ican get to work (mackinac Island) at 8am tomorrow morning.
today i worked on the boat to bget it ready for the trip and all went well. i decided to go fishing to test it out and i did so...good night.
i come back to the truck after we're done and i couldn't back up....somethoing was binding...i figured maybe a log or something i may have driven over. well that wasnt it. if i rocked foreward then i could back up just fine, but when i tapped trh brakes the rears locked up....and they stayed stuck. i had to rock foreward again to go i nreverse down the boat launch...thenscrech to a halt...rock foreward....roll back...etc....etc..e.tc.
after the boat was o nthe trailer i could not duplicate it. i just unhitched and am going to go investigate.
the brake pedal seems VERY firm...consoidering it isa chevy. the E-brake is much stiffer than it was before. also the rear wheels were prety hot to the touch after getting home ...about 9 miles from the lake. the trailer does not have brakes of any sort so thats not it...i am at a loss and i need to get it fixed prety damn quick. if you could toss ideas my way or suggestions i'd appreciate it. I"m heading out to take a look. please reply soon. i have to be rolling in about 4 hours.
thanks

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i found out what the problem is. one of my brake shoes is borken. all the asbestos or whatever the linigns are made of now-a-days is shatteread and there are chunks of it fouating around i nthere. thats what was causing it to bind. no parts storesa re open this late and ihave to leave so i am heading up to the island via motorcycle. pops is gonna change the shoes and then bring my truck and boat up to the ferry docks and then drive the bike home. this couldnt have happened at a worse time...well i guess on the road wouldnt be too cool, but ...yeah ..gotta go try to mo0ve vehicles around.
later

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
my dad's truck started locking up like that the last time we put the boat in the lake, weird. drums are strange critters. that reminds me, i've been meaning to change my sig to "drum brakes suck!"... well, cuz they do!

G

·
well you can have fun with them when they go real bad though. i had a piston or calliper (whatever you call the hydraulic piece that pushes the brakes apart) so screwed up i could luckup my right rear on command, i actually dragged that tire lucked up for 3 blocks in 3rd gear just to see if i could (85 sunbird, i miss that car)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.