Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
87 YJ 4.2 HEI ign. I'm stalling when braking.... not when pushing brakes at a stop, but when slowing down it WILL die unless I do some extraordinariy sammy davis maneuvers. I've got the top half of the carb off and noticed very little fuel in the bowl.... maybe less than 1/2 inch. Perspectively I'd estimate maybe an 1/8 of the bowl max has fuel, barely enough for my tapemeasure to get past the little chrome doohickey wet during the first 1/2 inch. I was under the impression that I was supposed to be approx. half full of gas in the bowl... Any comments, tips, tricks, or tonics to alleviate this problem? Is it a problem? I would like to know some specifics on adjusting my float as I suspect this is the main reason why I'm stalling... I replaced the check valve on the booster already but to no avail....

Help me Obi Wan Leve.... You're my only hope.

And I wasn't joking about saving my marriage... My wife is at wits end with my jeep.... and I'm afraid to make a choice.... I love her (my jeep) and my wife too, of course.... I love 'em both.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
In reply to:

Obi Wan Leve

[/ QUOTE ]
1 I gave up and fuel injected the beast...
2. I think you've got to do a little more looking'
3. The problem can be related to: [*]Vacuum [*]Emissions [*]Fuel related [*]Ignition related
4. With the evil BBD Carb,
5. Any of the above can be the cause of stalling.
6. You're job is to figure out which....
7. Were I you, I'd go out to to the BBD primer...
8. And start going through things one.. by one.
9. As exampe...
10. Clean the idle tubes,
11. Then see if it runs better.
12. Do one thing at a time.. and see if it makes a difference.
13. If not, then on to the next item.
14. What ever you do don't start throwing parts at the problem,
15. And don't start doing multiple things at the one time...
16. Keep it simple,
17. Keep it organized,
18. Take NOTES.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
funny you should mention don't do multiple things at one time....lol Are you watching me?

I'm curious what you think about the low fuel in the bowl.... Is this a reason for concern?... There really isn't much in there. What are your thoughts on it please?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
In reply to:

I'm curious what you think about the low fuel in the bowl.... Is this a reason for concern?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is room for concern,, You might check
Fuel filter
fuel pump
stuck metering valve ,(needle & seat) in bowl
also a partialy blocked sock in the tank on the pickup tube.

Best bet is to pull line and safely test flow from pump when cranking motor over low flow any of the above except needle &seat.

High flow check needle and seat.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: help save my marriage!!! stalling when brakin

im thinking either the fuel in the bowl is too low, like you said, and thus sloshes forward, away from the jets.

does it make a difference at what rate you slow, i.e. slam on the brakes or feather them?

brake booster leak?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

no...no it doesn't.... I can slam on the brakes till my heart's content but no change in idle. But at virtually any speed slowing down.... Stall. 50, 40, 30, down to 3 or 4 mph.... I'll stall as soon as any break in my forward inertia occours. Arg. Is the needle at the fuel inlet supposed to be more spring loaded.... seems floppy and loose. I hate loose and floppy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

it's a reman I've had it for approximately four months but never quite ran right. How much is a little money?

G

·

In reply to:

How much is a little money?

[/ QUOTE ]
are we speaking jeep terms. cause its as little as you can find a mc 2100 or as much as a mopar mpi kit.

my personal thought is your float is probably set too low. pull the float up till the needle seats. the floats should set about level. if it is low you simply bend the striker to make it sit right.

G

·

Typical re-man junk
To properly set the floats on a BBD, you have to turn the base upside down.
5/16 below the gasket surface is good.
You can re-re-build it yourself with a $12 kit.
If you choose to do it over again, I know some tricks that'll turn that BBD into a VERY GOOD carb, not as good as FI, but as good or better than a Weber or MC 2100

CTjeepnut

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

JeepNut..... I'd love to hear any and all information you would like to afford me... Thanks so much and I'm all ears..... I'll be up all night long hoping to hear from you.... I won't sleep, eat, drink, or respond to my wifes needs in any way. Very nice of you to help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I'm getting hungry.... and tired....(yawn) but still waiting patiently for jeepnuts information that I know will bring me peace and happiness.... I know it in my heart.....my wife is waiting too..... not as patiently though..... (I might grab a bite to eat real quick) Hope I don't miss anything.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts

I'd imagine when you said fuel in the bowl is low, you mean you took the top off right after you shut it off, not a few days later after it evaporated out.
Sounds like the float's too low. Simply bend the float's tab slightly so it rides a littler higher - if it's "less worse" you know that's it. Then just raise it a little at a time till it no longer dies. Or best yet, set it according to specs.

You could also have it adjusted wrong - the mixture screws. Open both up about 2 turns and try again. Sometimes it's possible to have the idle speed screw set too high, making the carb run on the transfer circuit, then the mixture screws get closed off to set the speed - backwards of what it should be. When you snap the throttle shut the carb tries to run on the idle circuit, but since it's closed it won't work. When you restart it again runs on the transfer circuit.
Easy cure, re-adjust properly. Open the idle screws 2 or 3 turns more from where they are now, then set speed with the throttle position screw. Then adjust mixture screws for fastest/best idle. Reset speed with the throttle screw. It's worth a try.

And - it could be a loose connection in the primary of the ignition - when you stop something moves and opens the connection, or shorts the coil out. Look close, wiggle wiggle wiggle.

Try this - try stopping to make it die, but hold your foot on the throttle to keep the R's up. If it still dies fast - like you shut the key off, suspect the loose connection. Holding the throttle open a bit should at least try to keep it running if it was fuel.

Funny - had a customer with a similar complaint once. Turned out to be the ignition switch - the detent was worn. When you braked hard, her heavy key chain swung forward, turning the column mounted ignition switch to off. Every time she'd leave the car with us, she only left the key, not the whole wad, so we couldn't experience it!
I finally took a ride with her - saw it happen! Duh!!!!!!!!

If it was a weak fuel pump, a restriction or plugged filter, you'd be complaining that it wouldn't accelerate, not die on stopping.
The fact that you can operate the brakes without an idle change says the booster's fine.

Let us know what you find.

Oh - and tell your wife that everytime it dies it reminds you of your undying love for her. Might work for a few minutes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Rrich... sound advice for a man that has turned too much of his time from his lady to his jeep... I'll heed your advice.

Now... I could be a scoche less bright than the rest of this forum so please don't laugh when I ask for clarification on this next question... but.... when I set the idle mixture screws.... do I turn them CLOCKWISE all the way to a stop and turn them out(COUNTERCLOCKWISE) two and a half turns>? OR do I turn the screws COUNTERCLOCKWISE all the way and THEN turn them (CLOCKWISE) two and a half turns in>? I ain't dumb.... I got smarts real good.

and thank you for your help.... much appreciated.

G

·

clockwise
and do not tighten simply run in untill you feel it snug slightly then back out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I've looked and looked.... but I thought I should mention..... I just removed the carb base plate spacer thingy.... and the square notches were facing down. I thought I read somewhere today, although I can't find it now, that they are suppose to face up. What are the repercussions for this bit of bufoonery? Anything noticeable? I'm going to put it back the right way. The square notches DO face up, right?
Thanks all for your patience>

·
Registered
10,815 Posts

2 1/2 turns is only a starting point - should run there. But after it's warm, then slowly turn in or out to find the best idle, fastest speed. After you found that point on both screws, then slowly turn them clockwise till you feel it barely start to slow down.
Then turn them clockwise about 1/4 turn more. That should give you the best setting, good idle, best mileage.

Do each side a little at a time - be fussy.

Each carb is different, along with each engine is different, that's why they always are different from carb to carb.

By the way, clockwise is lean, less fuel.

G

·

Sorry for the wait bloody
I just got home from work
Do you have to pass a visual where you live?
First thing to do is get a kit.
I like the GP Sorensons from Auto Zone the best.
PN 96-388B, about $12
Next you gotta get things VERY CLEAN.
I soak the small parts in a gallon of carb cleaner
The 3 parts of the body I soak in water soluble paint stripper from NAPPA.
Then I blast the body parts with my pressure washer.
Be careful, the paint stripper is very caustic and can splash back at you when your power washing it.
Post back when you get the kit and everything is clean, then you can start putting it back together.
Yep the square cuttouts face up, they feed vacuum to the choke pull off.

CTjeepnut

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I may cancel this whole project... My carb looks so beautiful and all it's parts are so spotless... I hate to put it back in.

BUT.... I'm cleaned and good to go. I soaked everything in a dozen cans of carb cleaner. and steel wooled the caca out of it... I replaced the plunger and what ever parts that came in the rebuild kit and I guess I'm ready to proceed...

What is thy bidding my Lord>?

OH.... now that I know I had the plate back-asswards... what would you think to be the consequential outcome of my bufoonery? Anything noticeable>?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.