Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When starting on a hill, or reving the engine to much when letting out the clutch, my 87YJ shudders sometimes. It shudders so much I have to put the clutch back in, then let it out again without as much revs, why?
Thanks

258/ BA 10/5

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Clutch! Either the flywheel is scorched or the clutch plate is going out. One slim possiblity is that the bolts holding the bell housing to the engine are loose....but they would have to be real loose or missing.

If you do replace the clutch, make sure you replace the pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and have the fly wheel turned. Its also a good time to inspect the ring gear. If its chewed up, have it replaced. They just heat it up, pull if off and put on another one. I would also recomend going with a new clutch vs. rebuilt. My first clutch was a rebuilt and it was a waste of money.....oh...and while you are at it...you might want to have the fly wheel balanced with the clutch asyembly. Not necessary, but it will smooth things out a little.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't happen alot, only sometimes, and It only has about 1 year on the clutch, and I DO NOT BEAT IT! I baby it. Could it be anything else?
Thanks

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.