Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a diagram for the starter solenoid on a 4.2l ??
Where does the black wire from my alternator go?

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif If it is the heavy wire from the alternator, that puppy goes to the BATTERY SIDE of the solenoid....together with the battery cable to the (+) side of the battery. BUT....this is only for the heaviest wire off the alternator.....not them other two leetle guys./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, but now where does the single strand black wire go? I think its to ignition but not too sure. What fusible links go to the starter side of the solenoid? Is it only the starter?

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Hmmm......I have no way of checking since the CJ manuals only go to '86 of course. There would not be anything sharing the starter pole of the solenoid except the starter lead....the big heavy one./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm looking at the schematics for a 90 YJ and I not sure what wires your talking about. It shows two red and one brown attached to the alternator. There are two red and a green attached to the starter solenoid and there are one red, two green and one black attached to the starter relay. The black wire is the ground wire for the coil in the relay. If you have an automatic, it's grounded through the neutral safety switch. On the manual, it looks like it's wired directly to ground.

If this doesn't answer your question, give me some more info and I'll try again.

jerry

87 XJ 4.0 5spd
90 YJ 4.2 5spd
95 YJ 2.5 5spd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the alternator there are two heavy red wires and a small brown/black one. There is a connector that plugs into the alternator with one red and one small brown one. I belive this wire came from a power source, and I think it was the ignition (yellow wire) because you do not ground the alternator.

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I think he has the small Nippon-Denso/ Mopar alternator...
That sure sounds like what he is describing...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

·
Registered
197 Posts
Rylan...I also have a single black wire with a female end on it. I have been told, but have not verified, that this wire is for "testing" purposes. and therefore it doesn't connect to anything.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360

·
Registered
370 Posts
According to my 90 YJ schematics, the 18BR (18 gage brown) wire from the alternator connects to a 14YL (14 gage yellow) which eventually leads to the ignition switch. The 14YL wire from the ignition switch is marked "to electronic engine controls" and "to charging system", so it looks like it connects as you believed.

jerry

87 XJ 4.0 5spd
90 YJ 4.2 5spd
95 YJ 2.5 5spd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts