Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86.5 Hardbody 4x4 Xcab, with the Z24 engine and 5-speed tranny. There is no tag on either pumpkin, and nothing else that I can see that would tell me what the axle ratios are. If someone has another suggestion, (other than taking off the cover and counting teeth), or knows what gears were available for this combination........... I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Gloria

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
it would be a good bet that they are 4.37:1 gears that is what came in mine the only difference is mine being a standard cab. there are 2 ways to check
1. lift your entire rear axle off the gound support the axle leaving the wheels free to turn make a line on your driveshaft and at a stationary point on you pumpkin. then mark your tire with a line and rotate the tire 1 complete revelution. don't go to far or to short. while you do this (remember only one rotation) count the number of times the line marked on your driveshaft passes the line marked on the pumkin.this is your first number probably four times. when you finish your rotationyou will notice that the lines on the driveshaft are not level with the pumkin this is ok. think of your driveshaft line as a clock, but think of it telling time in 100 minutes. if the line stops a little more than a quarter than you have 4.37 gears if it goes a little more than half way you probably have 4.63s if it almost goes for a fift pass than you have 4.88s. thats how the numbers come up 4 full passes and point 37 of the way. i hope i explained this clearly enough for ya. it is not as hard as it sounds hell you will want to check everyones gears to see if they are telling the truth when you master it. and another way to find out is get the parts guy at the dealer to run your serial number. but that way is not as fun. It works man try it. and let me know if you liked it. good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts