Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the leaf springs on my '85 CJ-7 with a set of Rancho Stock Replacements Leafs with Heavy-Duty, Greasable Shackles. No lift yet, that comes later in about a year or two after the motor and drivetrain have been beefed up, but that's another story.

Anyway, I started with the front end first, one spring at a time theory. I first removed the old spring and shackle and then replaced the bushings on the stabilizer bar. I then put the new spring on starting with the rear pivot bolt, then the shackles, then lowered the axle down to the spring plate and put the U-bolts in and attached the stabilizer bar. Last thing was to torq all the bolts to spec. With this, I look at the front and found one problem.....the leaf spring no longer lines up with the frame mount and is pushing the shackle sidways about 1/2 to 1 inch. I monkeyed with it a little but ran out of time and with no change to the problem. I called 4WD (where I bought them) and was told this is not uncommon and to leave the nuts loose on the U-bolts till all 4 were done and then to put full weight on the tires and bounce the jeep up and down, this should fix it, and then tighten the U-bolts.

Any experience with this???? Does this solution sound right?

Thanks....
Don M. Leners
1985 CJ-7 :: 4.2L/258, Project Jeep
Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/~dmleners
Jeep Page: http://www.geocities.com/~dmleners/jp.htm

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
With the stock leafs 1" lift shackle on my CJ5 when I got it, they were very rarily staight up and down (looking from the front). They were usually canted to the left or right. With all done and weight on it they should line up okay.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perdy much. Same thing when I replaced my shackles - nothing a BFH couldn't fix. Oh, and don't forget not to over-tighten the shackle bolts - it'll work against your suspension.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had that problem when replacing the leaf springs on a '86 CJ-7. Sounds like a good solution to me. I put all 4 springs on and only one wasn't straight. I'm just going to loosen the ubolts on that one to line it up.

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body

·
Registered
543 Posts
dont torque anything down tight, until you have all four done and all four tires on the ground. ditto the dont overtighten the shackles.. the difference between the used springs and the the arch in the new replacement is probably substantial. even though it is stock, it has not flattened out like your old ones. i bet when all four are on you'll be okay.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

·
Registered
543 Posts
another thought.. i would leave the stabilizer bar off, until i had both fronts done, as this may cause some twist. that may be why your shackle leans over.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that usually works by allowing the springs to settle into place before torquing them down. Another possible source of the problem that I discovered a few years back when installing a new set of springs was that the center pin of one of the leaf packs had been installed upside down at the factory. I didn't notice it at the time and try as I might, I could not get the spring to sit straight. I finally removed all the springs to switch them from side to side to see if that would help and I noticed the upside down center pin. The center pin was sticking up too far above the top of the spring to allow it to seat properly in the center pin hole in the spring pad. I flipped the center pin right side up and the crooked spring problem was solved. This is probably not your problem, but if all else fails, you might want to pull the springs off and check the center pins.

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this may be strupid, but hell, i dont know a whole heck of a lot about YJ's. Is the centering pin directly in the center of the spring always? if its not, you may have one on backwards. if this is possible, the axle would be ever so slightly off center and move the spring and shackle a little bit. Maybe i'm wrong, its a guess at this point! TikiBar construction begins Friday, June 15th!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts