Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FSM call it a exhaust manifold heat valve. It is the coupler/valve between the exhaust manifold and exhaust Y-pipe. Mine split in half. Anyone know where I might find this? Not available at parts stores. If not what about using some of that epoxy weld stuff to put it back together? It's a 1977 CJ-7, 304V8, stock exhaust manifolds. I need my Jeep so please, someone have an answer for me! Thanks.
fratt
[email protected]
77cj7304QtracTH400

fratt

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Don't know what the part is (no 304), but you might try JB-Weld for an epoxy. Next to duct tape, it's one of the worlds greatest accomplishments.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif My chief moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifmechanic just went into the local NAPA auto parts and got one. It had to be ordered, but it wasn't anything unusual, it was there in a day maybe two. I WAS 60 some bucks however./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif We have a 304 V8. Actually, my old one is still functional, but the shaft and the spring pins were getting thin from rust. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
I'm not sure what its purpose is, but I removed mine (actually I went to hooker headers, but still) I'm sure if you went to a muffler shop or somewhere you might be able to get them to fab up something.

What I was told its function is to help the engine warm up somehow on cold mornings. Mine was frozen (rusted) in place, so JBweld, if it'll hold up to the heat, or get somebody to fab up something in place.
g-luck

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thnks all. I found one at a local Jeep place, but another lister has one he is willing to send me for nothing, except shipping! Saves me about 50 bucks! Yeehaw, "I love you guys."/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hopefully I will get it next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

fratt

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
In New Orleans, LA? You don't need no stinking exhaust manifold heat valve!

At least it's not urgent. Just get a couple of short pipe nipples at the hardware store and use them as
spacers under the nuts to pull the exhaust pipe up to the manifold leaving the exhaust valve out. If you
didn't originally have a manifold to exhaust pipe seal, you'll need to put one in. I don't think you'll notice
the difference but you can put the valve back in when it gets there and drive your Jeep in the meantime.
Make sure that moving the exhaust pipe up the extra inch or so doesn't cause it to touch anything it
shouldn't.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The exhaust manifold heat riser valve makes a portion of the exhaust from the Right Bank of cylinders go under the carb through that little crossover passage and heat the floor of the intake plenum which aids in vaporizing the fuel on cold startup. I recently learned that even the V8 carbs will ice up under cold conditions, which was a shock to me. I knew single barrel carbs on inline engines did it, but not V8s/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif.

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow! Did you have a problem with this yourself, or did you just hear of it happening? I have never had this Jeep above 2500ft, but ALL of the accessories have been off my manifold for at least a year or more, but have not had any ice up problems yet. Is this problem unique to higher elevations? I ran it like this one winter in MO, with lows around -20. I really didn't notice any problems, but when it's that cold, extreme 4wd is the last thing on my mind. That's sittin' in the deer stand with my had frozen to the riser and release weather! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It has only been in the low 20 degree here though (not to cold up here around D.C., just bitter due to it being about 9.8 inches above sea level! /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif) Is this something that I am going to have to replace on the 360 when I drop it in? I was planning on straight headers and preformance intake with the 4bbl. BTW CJDave - I still need help on the TCase problem - see my other post. TIA!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I JUST heard that on this BBS not very long ago. I was AMAZED that a V8 would DO that, but the post was clear, the carb froze up. I JUST finished making an exhaust manifold sleeve for the 304. We need it for the smog check, AND we need it to help warm up on cold mornings. I just can't for tne life of me remember who posted that freezing up note./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.