Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed the Teamrush upgrade, and I'm very happy...purring like a kitten! The problem is that I broke the dipstick tube while moving it out of the way. Does anyone have a tube off a 4.2 they can hook me up with. Any Long Island, NY Jeepers out there with this part? I will travel to get it.

Teamrush for President!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I got an older model tube and dipstick from a Jeep dealer for mine. It's one of the short ones about a foot long. It cost about $16.00 as I recall. I told them to look up one from a '79 258 engine.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I KNOW 4wdrive hardware has them for V8s for 11 bucks, so I would assume they also have 6 cyl dipsticks!

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

G

·
Yea I got a new dipstick tube from the dealer last week, actually they called me today it is in, they said 7 bucks, I went ahead and got a new dipstick too, 13 bucks. hope this info helps

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dealer said they were $55 bucks, impossible right? I'm hoping in the land of high car insurance that a Jeeper that "lost his way in life," did what they normally do, and trashed his or her Jeep in the woods for insurance purposes. You find the best stuff in the woods on L.I. Jlstan.. you picked one up from the dealer for a 4.2? Loosenut, I'll try 4 Wheel Drive or the dealer again, if not I'll give yours a shot. I called 15 junkyards today, nothing!

G

·
Yep, the dealers in NY want at least $50 for one. I had the same problem when I tried to do the HEI dist upgrade. I bought the tube from a guy on this board but when I got the tube it was only about 5-6 inches long. Have of the tube goes into the engine and the other half sticks out. Where's the rest of the sleeve? It must be for another engine, not my 258.

Have you checked the junkyards over in Commack? I believe it's Commack Road exit 52 off the LIE. There's a few big yards there.

If someone on this board had the time and wanted to make some money, they could buy 10 or 20 of them from dealers in other parts of the country and sell them to us here in NY. They could make some money and they would be helping us less fortunate Jeepers here in NY (we don't have enough Jeep resources here). Just a thought.

Good luck.

Hey NY_Weasel, do you belong to any clubs in NY?

[email protected]

G

·
Hey weasel, I don't care about making any money but I could check with the Dodge/Jeep dealer here, they have great prices and I'll let you know how much they want. Tell me exactly what year engine you want it off of and I'll give them a call.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
I just got my Jeep in Nov and only recently found this BBS! Sorry John! But hey, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. The Jeep dealer here is AWESOME. Really informative, let's me look for my parts in his computer by myself, etc. etc.

HOWEVER! I have NO ACCESS to used parts whatsoever. THey are almost impossible to find without buying a Jeep just for parts.

So here's what I propose. Y'all can feel free to let me know what new parts you need and I'll check it out. Even if I have to have something trucked in from Atlanta it's no charge for the freight from the factory. In return, y'all must hook me up with used parts I need if you can find them. Sound like a deal? It'll work for me.

Says he can get almost anything I need from Atlanta (either there's a factory there or a big factory distribution center) and there is no charge to have them shipped here. He can get most parts he doesn't stock in about 3 days or so. Cash up front, so you must be serious.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I can't believe a stupid thing like a dipstick tube is so expensive. I even called Rosser and they had it for $55.99. The guy laughed before even looking it up. What really annoys me is that my 2 friends did Chevy V8 upgrades and threw their 4.2's away. I can't do anything till this weekend, and I'm gonna try the jungles of Jamaica, Queens. Many junkyards, but people have been known to come in and not come out! Anybody need anything while I'm there? I'm picking up a few dipstick tubes!

G

·
Try finding one for a 225 V6.
I ended up making one from brake line material.
Oh well, it works!

G

·
I tried the junkyards behind Shea Stadium and no luck. I capped the hole for now until I find one. Home Depot sells some tubes that might work if you figure out a way so that the tube doesn't fall into the engine.

BTW, I'm going out to LA tomorrow morning, I'm gonna stop by Don-A-Vee and maybe some junkyards, if I find one for under $20 do you want me to pick it up for you? Let me know.
Good luck.

[email protected]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John C., if you find one for that price pick it up (under $20). I'm in Great Neck, and I assume you're close since you're playing behind Shea. Worst case I'll have two. Who knows, in 20 years it might be worth $400! Anybody ever try and weld them back together?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.