Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 Yj Wrangler with a 4cyl, 5spd. The tranny recently started sounding like a train...ch ch ch ch...I thought it was the clutch and thow out bearing so I replaced those but that wasnt it. The noise is geting louder and louder and it is starting to squeek also. It only makes the noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but not when the clutch is in. Any ideas?? Thanks for any help you could give me.
Jim

· Registered
2,062 Posts
If it chatters like a muffled idling diesel (while you're idling in neutral) and it stops when you push in the clutch ...it's usually the bearings. Never heard the squeek thingie.

How about filling out your profile ?

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your trans needs a rebuild. The bearings are probably gone and there may be some rubbing of the case. Your '88 should have a Peugeot ("Please go") tranny unless you have already swapped it out. The BA-10 is barely worth adding fluid to, let alone rebuilding. I'd start looking for a replacement like the AX-15 if I were you. This is also the perfect excuse for an upgrade to a heavy duty trans like the NV4500, SM 465 or 420, etc.

My other car is a BULLDOZER

· Registered
328 Posts
That squeek bugs me. Are you sure it has grease (or oil) in it? If it's the bearings squeeking, it sounds like they've gone dry and it's too late, but putting oil in it will make it live a little longer.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

· Registered
2,062 Posts
The chatter thingie is the trans......but the squeak......sometimes universals will give out a sound that resembles a squeak .......do you get some "thumping" through the floor?

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.