Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I just changed my oil and noticed it was 3 quarts low. It has never been off up to this point, but this time it was really low. So I changed it and filled it up again. Since then I have been thinking of where the oil could have gone, and it does not leak, so it must be burning it. I never noticed any smoke until tonight. At wide open throttle I get a cloud of smoke from my pipes. I know for a fact that it never did this before I went to dual stright pipes. So maybe it could be that. Also, I found out tonight it has been doing it for a while, but my friends never thought about saying anything to me. I was told that every time I floor it smoke comes out. Is there any way that the loss of back pressure caused this? If I get some mufflers put back on will this stop? I am getting really worried because I just hit 38,000 miles on my 99 Tahoe, and the warrenty is gone, so if the engine goes I am screwed.

Thanks so much,
Adam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm no mechanical guru, but I don't believe your exhaust would have anything to do with burning oil. What color is the smoke coming out of your tailpipes when you mash on the accelerator. If it is black that is simply carbon deposits and is quite normal. White/greyish-blue smoke on the other hand usually means some oil is being consumed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the exhaust shouldnt be causing it but the reason it didnt do it before you got straight pipes is that it probably got caught by the cat converter, which only served to clog it even more. personally i dont know of anything that could be wrong at only 38k, im sure someone else will help you though

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
I am wondering the same thing because both our 95 suburban and 83 blazer started smoking fairly soon after putting on glasspacks. The cats are still intact. I doubt they are the actual cause but I guess they could be "the straw that broke the camel's back" if they were already on the verge of leaking. Maybe it's caused by the excessive revving that results from all your friends wanting to hear how cool your new exhaust sounds :)

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dumb question but did you goto a synthetic or a blended oil? This will cause it to burn oil because the syntetic cleans all the crap out of the motor including the the crud keeping the rings sealed tight etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 38k I don't see where you would have a ring or seal problem. But not to be a wiseguy, but you shell out 40G for a 99 Tahoe and you don't get the extended warranty...???? I would look into it cause I thought that most manufatures have a powertrain warranty for at least 60k or 5 yrs. That would include engine if for some reason it was a problem. How long did it take to burn 3 qt's of oil? What is the oil level looking like since the oil change? Any visable leaks (check the oil cooler lines... I assume it has this option... GM has had problems w/ these seeping in the past) or white smoke on start up?

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.