Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arugh! I was coasting down the highway this afternoon around 65mph when I heard a loud pop from my windshield. The center screw that hold the channel on the windshield for the softtop ripped out of the hole. I dind't think it was that big of a deal, and I had no tools on hand, so I drove back home a couple hours later, and it got worse! Now two screws on either side are starting to work their way out. I tightened them back down a little while ago, but any speen about 50 and POP, out they come!

How can I fix this? Re-drill new holes? Please help!

-Brian
93 YJ, 4.0L, Tuffy'ized interior

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This happened to me with my bikini top on the freeway. Don't drill bigger holes. It sounds like the screws have "bored" out the holes a little bit so they don't fit tightly in place anymore. Just get some slightly bigger screws that will fit snuggly in the now-larger holes and this should hold the channel in place fine. I'd consider replacing all of them when you do this because the others may be working themselves loose as well.

-Dorian
www.4Low.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same problem /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif and when I looked at the problem they had a bigger screw. I had the problem with the side and they had the big screw in the middle. I moved the big screw to where the problem was and I think it works fine now. I also now drive slower. /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
Good Luck /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Do not drill bigger holes, they will get plenty bigger on their own

This has been a problem for me for a while now. As the seasons go on, and you change from soft top to hard top, and install, and uninstall, that channel, it will get worse over the years. I have gone up in screw size a few times, and now have each screw marked for each hole. :| so I know which one goes where, so I don't accidentally screw a big one into a small hole, and make it worse. I've been doing this for about 6 years now.

It's a jeep thing. I've considered threaded inserts, like pems, or whatever, but drilling the big hole to insall those is more than I can muster.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I looked at it again this morning. The three center screws are all tore out with cracks developing from each hole (The center is the worst). I already put a bigger screw in the middle a while back and it's too small now. I'll stop by the hard ware store and see what I can find.

-Brian

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I don't know these very well at all, but what, if any would be the disadvantage to welding in a piece of metal there that you can put the screws in? Maybe something a little thicker/more durable than the original metal?

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here was my fix on this, but it won't work if you ever switch to a hard top. Get a slightly larger screw, and apply a bead of silicon under the rail before you screw it back down. Mine has been on extremely snug like that for about 2 years now, and it's just as tight as the day I put it back on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well see, that's a problem. I plan on finding an old hardtop at some point, and switching it out. Is there any type of silicon that isn't permanent?

As of today, the four center screws are all pulling out. Geez, it only gets worse!

-Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's not permanent enough I doubt it would hold very well. You could always just scrape it off and stick the hard top on there each year. By the way, how does a hard top attach in the front? I've never even looked at one since I don't like that closed in feeling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, from what I understand (never seen one personally) they clamp to the front windshield. I was gonna ask if the hardtop would fit over the softtop rail on the windshield, but I'm not sure.

-Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate to say it, but it sounds like metal fatigue. The top catches air going down the road and differences in speed and wind pull on the metal, flexing it slightly. Over time the metal weakens and you get those spidery cracks you mentioned. It think in this case, larger screws will only be a temporary fix. One thing that might work is to fill in some of the space beneath the holes with epoxy resin and drill sheet metal screws into the solidified piller of epoxy. They will still be removable for hardtop install.
Nope. The hardtop will not fit over the belt rail. It looks as though it should, but it doesn't.

TXJeepr

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
you can also drill new clearance holes in the rail, and new sheet metal screw holes in the windshield frame (maybe equally spaced between the existing holes)... ,...and start the whole process over again. I haven't had to do that yet.
and I don't believe the hardtop fits over the soft top rail. Man, I'm jealous of you guys not in cold-country... :(
Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A two piece hard top will fit, i can't remember the manufacturer off hand though. you could try injecting some (as much as possible) JB weld into the holes, let it dry and re drill, if you get enough in the top of the frame it will act as a thick piece of metal and you can just run the screws into it. I haven't tried it myself but it should work.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see. OK, well it's time to find some JB Weld. never used that stuff before, so this should be an experience!

I'll refill the holes, re-drill, and maybe add a couple more holes for added measure and install sheetmetal screws. While I'm at it I might as well install my Tuffy console this weekend too!

Thanks for the help guys!

-Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used rivets with washers to hold the windshield channel in place. It's working like new again- no more cold air blowing in.

At first- when I noticed that the original screws weren't holding anymore, I tried bigger screws. They just made the hole bigger to the point that the bigger screws wouldn't stay put. The rivets with washers worked great.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
You can buy these neat little doohickeys called threadserts or threadnuts at alot of hardware stores. They kind of work like a poprivet, but they're tapped for machine screws on the inside. You just drill a hole and use a special tool that's like a pop-rivet gun to install them. They're really secure, and if one ever strips out, you can just replace it with another one. I have the little suckers holding stuff on all over my truck, and have had nothing but luck with them. I believe Harbor Freight sells the kits.

Evan
http://contagious-racing.8m.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.