Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 scrambler w/ 258 6 cyl.
Here's the probkem--- I tried to start my jeep one morning and the engine started then died. I tried to start again and then It made this noise that is like a drumroll or buzzing sound. I tried to jump it off and it started. When I took the cables off the battery the engine stopped. I figured the battery was not capable of holding a charge so i replaced the battery. every thing was fine for about 3 days. then the previous symptoms returned. I have taken both the starter and alternator in to have them checked out and both are fine. I have replaced the starter solenoid and made sure there was no corrosion on the battery terminals. I put a slow charge on the batt overnight and Then it started right up. I went to a friends house and on the way home I noticed that the radio light was flickering on and off. When I got home I turned off the jeep and tried to restart. The buzzing noise returned and it would not start. please help. thanks --zach zachry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's a fast clicking sound like a machine gun going -- aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
the noise is coming from under the hood. Sorry That I can't be more specific. zach

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Just a guess, it may be an intermittent short to ground. That would explain the lights flickering and the insufficent voltage to engage the starter. Have you noticed some electrical devices running slow or lights being dim? If so, then it could be a ground problem. Good Luck!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that might be the problem. How do I find out where the problem is??

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Have somebody turn the key and try to start it while you look in the engine compartment. You might get lucky and see a little spark where a hot wire is touching the steel chassis or body. Otherwise, trace wires that are near to those areas and see if the insulation is rubbed thru. Good Luck and Be Careful!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey there...in addition to this, check the belt(s) at the alternator...if there is a slipping belt then even a good alternator is not going to keep up with power drain...the drumroll/buzzing is just a starter with too little power to crank and not a concern per se-it is just a symptom of the power issue...run a visual inspection of all belts and wires and good luck...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure it's not the starter? Maybe some wire are loose, or not a good connection (like the battery or grounds). I haven't had any problems with a solenoid, but maybe that?

Chase a Jeep

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Sounds like a charging problem (Re: "When I took the cables off the battery the engine stopped."). Charge the battery again. Start the Jeep and remove a battery cable, if it stays running turn on the headlights. If it won't stay running with the battery disconnected and the headlights on, you are not charging. Trace down the problem until it will run off the alternator (battery disconnected). Just because the alternator tested good doesn't mean it is good.

That rat-a-tat-tat sound is merely the starter solenoid rapidly turning on and off. The solenoid turns on supplying current to the starter. The load of the starter causes the voltage to drop enough to drop out the solenoid. With the starter disconnected, there is enough voltage to energize the solenoid again and supply current to the starter. The load of the starter causes the ... You get the idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea it sounds like the alternator to me also. while the engine is running you should be able to disconnect the battery and the engine will still run off the alternator. the alternator is not charging the new battery you bought. the new battery died after 3 days of use.
try a new alt!
good luck!
steve

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Before you condemn the alternator, there is something else you can try. Check to see if you have a drain on the system. With the engine off, remove the ground cable from the battery. Take a test lamp or a voltmeter and test for voltage between the ground cable and the negative post of the battery itself. If the lamp lights or you get a voltmeter reading, you have a drain on the battery. You can find the source of this drain by then removing one fuse at a time and checking for voltage each time. If there is no voltage after you remove one of the fuses, then the device that is shorted is on that particular branch circuit. Once again, Good Luck!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.