Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!! Jeep won\'t go!

I need help!! I have a 1980 CJ7 with Auto Tranny ( I believe its the 904, but not positive). Any way I just bought the jeep and the prev. owner rebuilt the motor and tranny, but never finished the install. Well I've run the motor and was getting ready to drive it, but NO GO!!! Yes, I filled it with fluid. With the engine running, the level is just below the full mark, when off, it doesn't change much. In park the jeep will not move, meaning everything behind the tranny is ok.

I heard from one shop that the pump can be broken if the torque converter is not "Clocked" properly. What does that mean? I really dont want to pull the tranny.
Please HELP!!
Thanks
Bill

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Re: HELP!!! Jeep won\'t go!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif CARUMBA! This is NOT good......the installer may have failed to get the torque converter "ears" to go into the notches on the pump and slip all the way back into the tranny before they bolted everything up.You can check this by dropping the pan off the torus housing so you can see the converter. Remove the bolts that hold it to the flywheel, and see how it feels. There should be NO binding, and about a 1/4" of front-back movement. The converter should move freely except for what little it may touch the flywheel. You COULDN'T be lucky enough that the problem is the three bolts that hold converter and flywheel are not in there....no...you just couldn't be that lucky/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Dave. I'm going to run down and check that right now.
This is eating me up!!! I've already spent countless hours working on this thing and have yet to drive it!! I'm gettin' kinda frustrated
Bil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

DAVE, YOU DA MAN!!! I just crawled under the jeep and the torque converter is NOT bolted to the flywheel/flexplate. Finally Something goes my way (well sort of). So now the question is, how do I get those bolts in there? And finally, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so what is the torus housing.
Well I've got to run so I will not be online until about 5 central time, so please let me know
Thanks a million
Bill

· Registered
6,355 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif WOT A RELIEF!!!! The bolts that you want are some which have the washer as a part of the head. You can get three of them from any transmission shop that does automatics. There are three places on the outer edge of the flex plate that bolt to the converter. There MAY be some other holes as well, so PAY ATTENTION and select the correct ones. Get the bolts in one at a time when the hole appears on the lower edge of the flexplate. You will have to roll the engine over with a screwdriver in the flexplate starter gear. Roll it around and get them just snug, then roll one more time as you tighten. Tighten the bolts VERY tight. I call the torus housing the part of the transmission that actually bolts to the engine and surrounds the torque converter. It's open on the bottom. Also...check EVERY spot on the back of that engine to be sure that they put all the bolts in and that they are correct, and that they are tight. Our CJ had the tranny just dangling there when we got it/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks Dave. On my 2 HOUR DRIVE to and from work (at least it was a short day)It came to me, exactly what you said. Guess the think before you speak, or in this case write, didn't work for me. Well now down to the garage and try this one more time.
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.