Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, You know that old saying "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask"...well here goes.

I am almost done putting all of the tin back on my 72 w/304 and Autolite 2100 carb. I need to replace the throttle return spring. I assume I can get a new stock spring at NAPA. In a previous post teamrush mentioned having two springs as a safety precaution. Should I buy 2 of the same spring or one smaller spring to be threaded inside of the other?

Also, I installed my stock delco distributor after seeing #1 piston at TDC. The rotor is pointing at #1 ???? (based on the drawing in my Chilton's manual). The problem is that I have comapared the old cap and wire's (which are labeled) and watched the video I made while taking everything off 3 years ago. I am not sure The distributor is in right. I am not sure if the distributor is in right. BOTTOMLINE. What can go wrong and how expensive will it be if I wire it up and start it and it is wrong?

Thanks for your help. I am having a blast doing this myself and obviously learning quite a bit too.
Scott

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. It doesn't sound like I can screw things up too baddly if I don't get it right the first time So here goes nothing.
Scott

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: HELP...It is almost ready to start....TEAMRUSH

In reading your anwser to my dist. question I came up with another (surely first of many). My engine builder assurred me that all of the oil gallies were full. Do I still need to pre-oil the engine.

Thanks for your help
Scott

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Teamrush, thanks for your help. I do want to do this right. Can you (or anybody else) explain the pre-oiler that you spoke of. A search of all the site on this board revealed nothing.

Scott

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Teamrush
I located an article in Sept. 1999 issue of Petersen's 4wheel and off-road. In it they install a system that can be used as a preluber without spending $400-$500. I am curious if you think that it is of any value at this stage for me. It looks as though I could set it up for less then $100.00

Briefly here is what they do. A Moroso oil accumulator (1.5 qt in my case) p/n MOR-23930, is installed using an adapetor fitted between the oil filter and the engine. The accumulator is charged with compressed air. Opening the valve would force the oil from the accumulator into the engine to prelube it. According to the article the prelube is an added benefit. Its primary use is having access to oil when the jeep is in a position that the oil pump is not pumping oil.

What do you think of this system. I am not planning on getting to crazy in my jeep (daily driver). But this seems promising to protect my investment after it has been sitting for a while. Parts are listed in the summit cat. In truth I thought the pre-oiler was going to be much mote involved an expensive to rent so I thought I would find a way to use that money on an ongoing basis.

Thanks for you advice
Scott

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I actually have to work this week so I won't be able to do anything till next friday. Again thanks for the insight.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.