Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help -- I\'m panicking

First off -- Thanks to everyone who replied to my post re: I'm going to buy a used jeep.

I bought my 1993 YJ today. Of course I've been driving around like a madman all day trying to get the feel of the Jeep. Just a few minutes ago the CHECK ENGINE light came on. I checked all of the fluids everything is fine.

Please tell me this is one of those "bean-counter" get your engine tuned up lights. This is my first day in my first jeep. I'm going crazy worrying that I've bought a lemon.

What should I do first? Any helpful ideas. I was hoping that I could start working on my car slowly overtime, not have to learn how to overhaul it during it's first weekend. California has no return policy on used cars.

Anyone out there, please respond. I will be forever in your debt.

Thank you,
David Sramek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Help -- I\'m panicking

I was just wondering how many miles it has on it. My buddy bought a 94 and his light came on because he hit a certain milage. He just disconnected it so he wouldn't have to keep looking at it all the time. I can't remember what the milage was but it might have been around 80 to 83,000 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It has 100,000 miles. In fact it just hit 100,000 today.

ds

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Let me clarify my question ... What does it mean when the check engine light comes on? Is this some kind of emmissions thing?

Thanks
ds

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

David,

Its a 93, should have a computer, your profile didn't say if 4/6 cylinder. Access the codes to see what they say and look in a jeep manual to see what they translate to. I hope this helps, I don't think I have amanual for a 93. Later.

Booger /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?

·
Registered
197 Posts

In my buddys little PU truck, when the light came on you had to change the O2 sensor and I think reset something...anyway, it didn't mean harm was being done to the engine...it was an inteval for recommended O2 change and tune up.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

The check engine light should come on after the odometer hits 82500 miles. It will need to be replaced(the timer under the dash). If you come up with nothing after you check the computer codes, try replacing the O2 sensor and get a new timer or just pull the little light out of the dash. Thats what I had to do. I don't need to be reminded about regular maintenance. That is how my Nissan beater has lasted 160000 miles and runs like new.
If the engine is running good, pull the bulb, and replace the O2 sensor to be safe. Cheap fix.
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Allright -- Now I'm noticing that not only is the CHECK ENGINE light on, but it feels like it's going to stall going through 2nd and 3rd Gear.

I'll tell ya, I feel like a jerk asking all of these questions, but I am freaking out about this Jeep.

Does anyone have any thoughts about my problem -- in it's latest mutation.

1993 YJ 6 Cyl

Thanks
ds

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Do you have a manual? Ours in the TJ says if the check engine light comes on constant, not to worry and at the earliest possible convience take it to the dealer. Ours turned out to be the TPI sensor, but a loose fuel filler cap will also set this light off. The manual also says if the light is blinking, DO NOT DRIVE THE JEEP, major damage could result. I hope not much is wrong with your jeep. Oh yeah, the '94 and under Troopers also have a check engine light that automatically comes on a 90K, telling you to change the O2 sensor. We have 75K on the TJ, so I don't know if it has a light for that or not. They did away with the light on the '95 Troopers.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

There are 2 lights that later YJs have. One is the "MAINT REQ" which comes on around 82.5k to tell you you have to change/check the O2 sensor. The one that says "CHECK ENGINE" is telling you you have an emissions control problem. This is probably the one you are seeing. You can check the code easily on your YJ by cycling the ignition key on to off three times in a row (leave it on the last time). The check engine light will start to flash. The codes are all 2 digits. You will see a series of quick flashes followed by a slight pause, then another few flashes. A longer pause indicates the start of the next code. You typically will find code 12 (battery disconnect) at the beginning, Code 55 indicates no faults found/ end of codes. I don't have the manual handy, but if you pull the codes, I can get back to you on the meaning of them. Please post them, as someone else may have the book readily available.
Hope this helps, good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I Checked the computer here are the results:

Can anyone help me translate these?

I'm using all of resources trying to locate a manual right now.

Thanks

ds

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

It look like one of those electrical gremlins. Disconnect the battery for one minute. it will reset the computer. Then see if new codes register. Alot of time loose connection will set off a code when nothing is wrong.

brownbagg

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

I think these are the correct faults for the codes you listed

11- motor not started/cranked since last mem reset(or words like that)
12-memory power lost
51-O2 sensor
22-coolant temp sensor
24-throttle position sensor
33-ac cut out relay shorted or open
55-end parade

These I grabbed from the mini-mopar page:
http://minimopar.simplenet.com/fault/index.html

I couldn't figure out if it was any different for the JEEP line ......so.....

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Here's the translation:
12= battery disconnect, within the last 255 starts.
33= A/C clutch relay circuit, normal if you don't have factory A/C.
24= TPS (throttle position sensor) volts too high/low. The sensor may have been unplugged (open circuit, volts not dropped to ground, volts high) (Shorted circuit/wires/sensor, volts low) not a likely suspect, the light would come on almost instantly when started.
11= No crank reference signal. (sensor unplugged, wires shorted or open, while cranking) Not likely, it wouldn't start.
51= O2 volts stay below center (.5V) Sensor unplugged, shorted to ground or open, or just plain worn out, the most likely cause, it will only come on after driving a while. A leak in the exhaust manifold or headpipe upstream of the O2 sensor will also drive your O2 voltage lower, the exhaust will have more oxygen in it causing the O2 sensor to produce less voltage.
22= Coolant temp sensor volts too high/low. Short or open in the coolant temp sensor, would set the light on in a few seconds after starting.
55= end of sequence, normal.
Most of the faults were probably set while sensors were unplugged and reconnected in an attempt to diagnose the problem. Disconnect the battery for a minute or two, to clear the faults, drive until the light comes on and recheck your codes, you should get the 12, 33, 55 codes(normal, and won't turn on the light) plus the actual code that set the fault (probably the O2 sensor).
If it is the code 51, replace the O2 sensor and check the exhaust manifold and headpipe for leaks and repair them if found. Normal life for an O2 sensor is 60K to 80K miles. Any coolant in the exhaust (blown head gasket, cracked block, etc.), silicone spray or non sensor safe RTV gasket sealer in the intake, fuel or exhaust stream, or excess oil consumption will kill the sensor quickly.
Hope this helps, good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I was just following this post out of curiosity. I don't have a YJ or know much about them. I am very impressed with the help you guys have given...your posts have been thorough and informative. You've undoubtedly saved this guy a bunch of cash and worries. I know he appreciates the help and I do too. I'm glad to know y'all are out there willing to help.
Shain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. This BBS is the greatest!

It turns out that the TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) was damaged and something called the Crank Angle Sensor was damaged. (Probably by the guy who steam cleaned my engine when I bought it). I hope someone can benefit from this wisdom in the future.

Anyway, my Jeep runs perfectly now.

I owe you guys a big one!

Adios
ds

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

Shain and Dave,
This is a great board here. I visit 3 other boards and this beats the others hands down. Lots of great knowledge and experience........and the willingness to share thier hard earned smarts. Flame is at a minimum but the personalities add their own "flavor" or "tone" to the place......usually friendly folks here...and occasional "warm" debate now and then.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifYou gotta love the information age!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.