Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! How do I tighten a 2\" Nut? ASAP

How do I tighten the hub locknut on my front wheel bearings? The nut is at least 2". The nut I removed had been installed with a screwdriver and hammer, I doubt this is the proper technique. None of my local parts stores have a 2" socket. How can I tighten this without butchering the nut.

Thanks

PS- I am in the middle of this and need a quick solution. I am off to do the passenger side right now.

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Re: HELP! How do I tighten a 2\" Nut? ASAP

well.. the hammer/screwdriver does work, but they sell spindle nut wrenches..they sell them at advanced here...remember..tighten a little too much on the inner one and then loosen it a quarter turn
~~Elusive~~

G

·

Got my 2" socket at Sears Craftsman, for the hub nuts on '88.5 Samurai. It was a 3/4" drive socket, so I had to use two adaptors for my inch-pounds torque wrench (3/8" drive) to set the bearing preload, and only one adapter with the foot-pounds torque wrench to tighten the outer nut.. I'd suggest getting the right tool and setting the pre-load properly, or you may have to do it again if the bearings go bad and you have to replace them.

Bill

G

·

hi
you are in luck if it is not to late!
I posted the same question a while ago and got an answer of napa has one, but... it is not a socket (well yeah it is) but it has Prongs on it intead of covering the nut, it was a thirty dollar socket and work like $hit but i think i used it and returned it at napa i needed because i was doing ball joints and it was the 2 or 3 time it went on and off with a screw driver. You can get the socket (yes the socket) throug Quadratic or 4wd hardware for cheap money and buy new nuts to get ride of the old ones i ordered it through one of them with four new nuts and the socket 11 bucks ended up coming to almost 20(with shipping) bucks not much savings but i lot better socket ( the socket was made by crown the same company that makes gears i think)
later
84cj7

·
Registered
418 Posts

The one with the prongs is for a different kind of nut, not a the hex nuts we have. When I hand mine apart a few weeks ago, I found that some previous owner had used a hammer and chisel; there were notches from driving it in both directions. As I didn't have the big socket (and it wouldn't have fit the mashed nuts if I did) I used the same technique, a but kludgy but it worked.

-Dana

A goverment that fears arms in the hands of it people should also fear ROPE!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.