Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEED HELP PLEASE.. I WOULD LIKE TO CONVERT A 96 DODGE DUALLY TO A SINGLE WHEEL FOR THAT REGULAR TRUCK LOOK.. DOES ANYBODY MAKE RIMS FOR THIS OR WOULD I HAVE TO GET THEM CUSTOM MADE... WHAT WOULD THE NEW OFFSET BE..I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE THE AXEL... I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO REMOVE THE FENDERS.. I KNOW I WOULD HAVE A FEW HOLES TO PATCH.. THIS IS NO PROBLEM... ARE THE SIDES UNDER THE FENDERS THE SAME AS A REGULAR BOX OR HAVE THEY BEEN CUT.. IF SO CAN THIS BE COVERED WITH FLARES LIKE BUSHWACKERS OR OTHERS.. I KNOW I WOULD BE LOSING LOAD CAPACITY AND THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM... I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO ON THIS... THANK YOU TOM211.. E-MAIL... [email protected]

· Registered
5,526 Posts
Why not just buy a used bed that's in decent condition rather than taking your good one and hacking it all up? (Even if done remarkably well, it'd probably be at least recognizable as a hack job... Then you could sell the bed you have now to make up for the $$ you spent getting the regular bed...

Why not swap axles? It's easy. Or at the very least it shouldn't be too hard or time consuming.. And in the end you get something that looks good and isn't rigged up either... You don't want to have huge offset on the wheels because it'll increase the leverage against the bearings, etc, even on just regular street driving... Bad magic, don't want any of that... To be sure if you can swap the axle just measure the mounts on each, the one you have now and the donor to make sure they line up right...

Just some thoughts...

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'd sell the dually and buy a single wheeled truck. All duallys (at least since '94) are 1-tons, and the single wheeled would be 3/4 tons. Your 1-ton is worth more than a 3/4-ton. You would save a lot of work, and would be farther ahead in the long run.

Mopars and 4x4s

· Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I seen it done. I was at a 4x4 jamboree in vermont and seen a black 3500 single wheel pick up diesel powered and the bed was either changed or operated on. I personally can't see why you can't just put on regular wheels on the rear actually I would guess you can since the new rim wouldn't have the big offset for dually wheels. If the bed extension is just fiberglass or plastic then I too would just take it off and plug the holes in a cost effective way or just leave it, there only going to be maybe an 1/8" big. I always see used factory tire/wheels in the local want add/ classifieds.... Good luck and welcome to the dodge board.

· Registered
5,024 Posts
Re: Dually bed

Ford & Chevy dually beds are MUCH different from SRW beds - the cutout in the sheet metal is bigger than the SRW wheelwell, and there are some changes to the inner skin for reinforcement. I'm guessing the Mopars are done similarly. Just deleting the outer wheel would make the rear look like the front (exposed lug nuts), and would put some extra load on the bearings (as Tim said).

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Don't buy it... Build it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.