Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!! Boggin\' Tips and Tricks

So, we got the Monster Truck, Tough Truck, Jet Truck, Amateur Mud Bog show comin' to town this Saturday.
Main Page
Da Show
I really think I want to try out the mud-bog!

The wife and I saw it last year, and it looked like a blast.
The pit was probably 1' deep for the first run, and maybe a 1-1/2' for the finals.
They basically dumped a load from a water truck on it for the 2nd run.
Who knows if it will be different this year.

Anyway, most of you know my truck.
Biggest problem I can see is the 3.50's and 33's.
A 60 foot pit aint gonna let me wind it up much.
Would I be better off in 4-Lo and hold it in 2nd gear?
The C6 will do that.
However, I can't see shifting to 3rd if I need to at 6-6500rpm in 4-Lo.
Something's going to break with 425hp.
Am I barking up the wrong tree? Not enough speed in 4-Lo?
Just stick in first, wind it up a bit, then....punch it?

How about tire pressure?
Run em down a bit? Stay with the current 35psi?
I can't wait to try these new MT/R's in the pit.

Anyone been there/done that?
Muddybronco?
Truckboy?
I know there's others, just can't remember who all "plays in the mud" at the moment.

"No thanks" on the Tough Truck competition. I saw how big those jumps were last year.

Buehler........?
Buehler........?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Re: Help!!! Boggin\' Tips and Tricks

mud bog or mud drag?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, they call it a bog, but it was run more like a drag last year, cause they timed it.
Nobody got stuck.
Well, except the guy in a mid '70s LTD that had stacks comin' out the hood.

(he was running in the demo derby the following weekend)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

That's what I was wondering as well. sounds like this will have a firm base underneath, in which case your 3.50's and HP will power right through in 4WD high, but maybe use 1st or 2nd, hmmm you'll have to decide that for right RPM, and first would probably mean a shift. Just make sure your intake is protected, and you can't drown out the electricals and your vent tubing is high and up to snuff. And take out all your heavy trail gear that you may normally lug around, including the back seat if yours is in there.

Edit, the mud base is the critical part. And as far as tires, don't run them at 35. The base would have to be real smooth for that. If there are any bumps/ruts, etc hidden in there you want to be able to absorb that, espcially in the rear. I'm thinking 20psi or so, probbably no lower if this is a speed thing, maybe a couple pounds more. Give you a nice big footprint, and a much softer tire for absorbing bumps.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks, TheJuice.
Good idea on "lightening the load".
I wonder how bad my interior would get if I took the top off?

It'd sure be a crowd pleaser.

My vent tubes are routed a little better than stock, but I think I'll move em up a bit.
I have a foam pre-filter to put around my air cleaner. (open-14" K&N)
I have no idea what kind of base there will be in the pit.
I guess I'll find out when I hit it.

What's the trick on keeping the windshield clear?
Well, besides running the wipers constantly.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts

I wouldn't run the wipers - you'd scratch the glass permanently. Just use the force!
It won't fill with mud before you get to the end or stuck, so don't fight it. Just clean it when you're done.

For an idea of how much mud you can expect inside, think of how much gets on the top normally. If your tires stick way out past the fenders, you might get some. But on a straight run, you probably won't throw much mud inside with the top off no matter what. And I'll save Shilo the trouble of posting on this thread, too: "I have some mud inside, whah whah whah. . ."

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Never been through a mud hole....yet.

Wouldn't have the slightest idea how much mud I'm gonna throw.
I do know the tires are barely 1" out from the fenders.
Actually, I think it's only the fronts that stick out.
Maybe slap some RainX on there?

Hmm, didn't think about scratching the glass.
Guess I'll bring a "sheet" load of fluid to wash it between runs.
In reply to:

And I'll save Shilo the trouble of posting on this thread, too: "I have some mud inside, whah whah whah. . ."

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Run the wipers like crazy, make sure your squirters are aimed properly. Unless you are entering some kind of mud pit with fine particle sand, this won't hurt a thing. I've had many a rig covered in mud and as I was running through it you have to run the wipers like crazy, but unless your squirters work well, the wipers will do nothing to clear your vision if a lot of sticky mud ends up there. when I get ready to enter something really muddy and watery and I'm going to make it go flyin' I turn the wipers on first.
If you take the top off, put a tarp down in back, you won't make that big a mess then.

Unless you are first, watch the speeds of others succesful/unsuccessful, and watch what they throw up (mud I mean). Is it mainly watery, or a lot of thick chunks flying, then you will know what to expect for the bottom traction. Sounds like fun!!!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

man, that is sooooo cool!
i wish they did events like that near me, id enter in a heartbeat!
im with The Juice, if its wet stuff with a solid underneath, 4hi is the way to go, and then you can scream through it, throwing mud everywhere, and, well, yeah! thats cool!
Chunky stuff gets ugly, but since its just a big pit, as long as you dont get caught in someone else's ruts youll probably be fine. But move those vent lines! mud likes to go everywhere, and get in everything. Also, as long as youre not throwing huge clumps of nasty, back-water swamp muck, having your wipers going should hurt a bit. (never hurt my mine) Just remember to fill your washer fluid before you go!

·
Registered
975 Posts

Ask and ye shall receive reptillikus.....I'm waiting for my entry form to the mud bog at the Warren County Fair. It should be here next week. I'll send ya a copy if you want. I used to run the mud bog at the Sussex County Fair but they're not having it this year, so I figured I'd go enter one I had no affiliation with.
The Sussex mud bog was 175 ft long. 0"-3' taper for 125 ft. 3' for 25 ft and tapered back up to 0" for the last 25 ft. 85-90 trucks entered last year and only 3 made it through.
I have no idea if the Warren mud bog is the same or a mud drag, but I'll soon find out.
I'm also going to the Bloomsburg Jamboree in 3 weeks and they have a mud drag there.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

wow, that kicks @ss!
im interested, but when/where is the fair? ill be camping from the 6-13th, so i wont be able to make it to the bloomsburg event, but im def. interested in the one in warren

G

·

Well, my specialty is in the Pro Arena/Tough Truck area, but I have done some mud drags. You'll be fighting the wheel like mad. Stay on the gas and DO NOT life an INCH! If you lose any momentum at all your screwed. Don't worry about the windshield. You won't get that much mud up there anyway, and the little that you do won;t matter until you get to the pits. Your just going in a straight line, and you want to concentrate on the tires more than anything. Just let the windshield be until you get back to the pits, then clean it off carefully so you don't scratch anything.

Reduce the weight as much as humanly possible. Take out the spare tire, spare tools, whatever. And only fill the gas tank as much as you need to to get by. And leave the top on. Mostly fr saftey reasons. And it is a total pain in the @$$ to clean the interior of complete mud. As your at the line quickly check out the ruts. See if you can spot a good straight rut that won't throw you off line that you can follow. That will beat pushing the mud with your bumper. Also, depending on how hot your engine runs, see if you can block off the radiator and intake. You don't want that crap getting in those. Your engine is screwed if you it does. TRUST me on that one.

I personally say to go for the tough trucks.
If your smart about it you won't hurt your truck. I do it at a professional level, so my truck is built for that kind of thing. Ah well... if mud bogs is what you want to do, then go for it. Also, do you know what monster trucks will be there? I hope I was some help! Good luck man!

·
Registered
975 Posts

The Warren Cty. mud bog is August 3rd. I've never been to that one so I'm not exactly sure where it is, but I know it's out Rt. 46 past Denville.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

hmm, i think i know where that is...
ive taken 46 all the way out to 80 several times before, so it shouldnt be too hard to find...now if only my map was here instead of in my truck.....

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hey, thanks for all the tips!
I think the key here is "Amateur Mud Bog".
That's why I'd like to try it.

One of the better trucks last year was a mid '80s F-150 Super cab with a long box.
Totally stock, 31/10.5s, 300-6 / 5 speed.

The 6-8" lifted trucks with "mega monster mudder tires" were ALL over the place.
Couldn't keep going in a straight line.
Looked to me if you had wider than 12.5's, you'd walk right up and out of the ruts, sending you off course.

So, about the only thing I really need to prepare is my breathers.
I've got gobs of spare hose and connections, so I'll just run em all up as high as I can get them.

Truckboy
This is considered an "Outlaw" monster truck show.
Looks like they are old resurrected trucks from the big shows.
"Unnamed and Untamed" and "Terminator" are the only 2 they show on the website.
Those were both here last year, and 5-6 more.
1 tank-track vehicle.

That thing was unstoppable, but sure doesn't get air like the rest do.
The crowd wasn't too impressed, but I liked it.

G

·

What tank was it? Do you remember? People don't run those much anymore because because they land SO hard! People were just killing their backs. They don't have any kind of suspension to them at all. The only one that did was the BIGFOOT Fastrax. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Sorry man.
Don't remember the tank's name.
He could pop a wheelie for about 30 yards with it though.

As far as "tough-trucks" go, those were some radical vehicles.
2wd pre-runner types, and extremely long-travel 4wd rigs.
Don't think I'd fair too well there.
And like I said, "I saw those jumps last year".
Those guys were getting at least 10' of air under the tires.

·
Registered
723 Posts

hey wd-40 when i wqas out in CA years ago they had one of tose for armed forces only it was a blast but i do remember a jeep that had a 350 with nos in it he taped his air cleaner up to keep mud out of it and put to much onit so when he gave it the gas it just choked out and the one hat one was an old stock willys jeep he thru it and the went right back thru it in reverse made all the hipo rigs look sick

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.