Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help! I've gone through three new alternators in the last two weeks. I get a new one, put it in and everything works. Within 20 miles or so, the alt. light comes on, and when I whip out the trusty volt-meter, the alternator is not putting anything out. This is the third alternator in a row. What would make it die like this? Please help!!

--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It might be caused by where you're buying them I went thru three starters in about two weeks that were bought from Checker auto parts.They buy stuff that is rebuilt in Mexico and ther quality sucks but they did have a life time warranty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your charging system in a whole could be frying them... How old are all the wires, battery, everything.. check back everything and replace the damn thing once again.

Muddynut
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 78 CJ7 "Issues" /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips. Actually, they are rebuilt lifetime warranteed alternators from autozone. Could be a similar problem. The car is a 95, so the wiring and all is pretty good, I think. Just rebuilt the motor about a year ago (blown head gasket) and it'd been nothing but problems since.

--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
The Zone

STAY OUTTA THE ZONE!!!!

Sorry, /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif allow me to rephrase: I hate that place! They nearly killed me twice. Check NAPA - their prices have come WAAAAAAAAAAY down. I priced a steering box for my truck there yesterday, and they were almost the cheapest, but they sell the good stuff. Then there's also Advance, CarQuest, Parts Plus, O'Relly, Car Care, All-Pro, & Pep Boys (depending on your region). I wouldn't shop the Zone if I needed dirty rags.

JMTCW

BTW Check the voltage for those first 20 miles - that'd be a good source of info on what's happening.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
One alternator could go bad...
Two alternators could go bad...
Three alternators being bad really heightens the odds.

IMHO the alternator is being murdered shortly after it's transplanted. But why? I suspect that the belt is too darn tight or the regulator is blowing. Now I'm going down the garden path here making a statement when I don't know where you're measuring the voltage output and under what conditions. So beware answers if the information supplied is incorrect.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I second the overtightened belt thing, but it would be nice to know whats wrong with the nbad ones?

nothing wrong with azone stuff, just make them test it before you walk out! they use bottom bidder rebuild just like most everyone else except the zone doenst spend the $2.36 on pretty boxes.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.